Bagged grains for mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catnip_X07

Reaction score
One of the longest and worst chore for me after brewing all-grain is cleaning the mash tun. All that loose grain to pick up or dump, then wash out, then wipe down to make sure no loose grain bits are sticking around.

Has anyone just dumped their grain bill into large nylon bags (5 gal paint strainer) and mashed this way in their tun? I'm not sure about the efficiency or if it would contribute to dough balls but I thought if I left enough space in the bags to agitate the grain, that I may get the same result with easy (easier?) cleanup.

I figured as much, but I thought BIAB was for smaller batches, up to 5 Gal, and involved dunking, spraying (i.e. sparging) and otherwise a grandiose way of steeping grain within the brew kettle. I just thought it was a conceptual thing that could be brought over to all grain mashing in the tun first, prior to vorlaufing, then sparging, and collecting into the brew kettle. I just hadn't come across anything yet where someone applied it to the turn first. I'll give a whirl.

Back