shank hole size too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I'm going to install my faucets this week and have a hole saw kit that starts at 1 1/4". is this too big for the shank hole? the shank itself is 3/4" OD (Krome stainless).

OR

I have spade bits at 3/4 and 1" but I'd much rather do the hole saw for neatness sake.

thoughts?

I just drilled mine for my keezer build used a 7/8 spade bit made by Irwin it cut a flawless hole,I was surprised how clean it cut.

I'm going to install my faucets this week and have a hole saw kit that starts at 1 1/4". is this too big for the shank hole? the shank itself is 3/4" OD (Krome stainless).

OR

I have spade bits at 3/4 and 1" but I'd much rather do the hole saw for neatness sake.

thoughts?

I'd say it depends on what you are drilling through. If you are drilling wood, I'd just use the spade bit. If cutting metal or insulation, I think the hole saw would be preferred. But in either case, I wouldn't use a bit that over sized. Hole saws are cheap at harbor freight tool.

I went through 3/4 cherry and 3/4 ply I drilled from one side and it turned out perfect good luck

ok well I'm going through 1" pine so i think i'll be good. i'll just use my spade. With my 1/2" drill, it can rip through anything!

thanks for the tips

Hi

Unless you have a very unusual shank, it's designed to be a tight fit in a 7/8" hole. A good sharp 7/8 bit in a drill press will normally put in a hole you have to thread the shank into. If the drill wobbles some, then of course the hole will grow larger...

Bob

I used a spade bit on my kegerator. It cut through the metal and insulation just fine. I had the vacuum sucking the foam out of the door to help clear the waste. I did cut from both sides and its very clean hole.

Using a backing board meaning a piece of wood behind the board that is drilled into, splintering should be a minimum. Not sure what kind of hole saw you have but most are modular. You could buy a 7/8" hole saw to add to the shank or mandrel, not sure what it is called. I forgot which I used but remember there is a black or some other color adapter that will be between your tap and whatever it is mounted in, the hole could be very ugly and no one would know. However if you have a too big hole you might have a lot of trouble getting a group of taps to line up vertically or horizontally in the face. If you don't have a caliper you can get one for $2 at Harbor Freight. I would invest in a caliper and the exact sized bit for the right sized hole. If you do want the cleanest holes though look at a set of forstner bits.

Back