Is there a mill where BOTH rollers are driven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Meaning there isn't a slave roller. I am so done with the slave roller not drawing grain in between the rollers when I go to Maris, etc.

Anyone?

It would require both to have axles that extend out of the blocks on the non-driven side and have gears on them. It's probably cheaper to go with the Monster Mill MM2-2.0 which shouldn't have problems. The larger roller diameter negates the slave slipping problem.

With a little Alabama engineering, you can easily add 3 sprockets and a chain(or is you have enough room just 2 gears).

You are most likely getting rocks in there, every time I use MO I will have to dig rocks out of the mill rollers, just a quick fix, but a pain in the A$$ none the less, just a heads up in case you didnt know what was causing the problem, it took me a while to figure it out, good luck.:mug:

You are most likely getting rocks in there, every time I use MO I will have to dig rocks out of the mill rollers, just a quick fix, but a pain in the A$$ none the less, just a heads up in case you didnt know what was causing the problem, it took me a while to figure it out, good luck.:mug:

+1 :mug:

I have a Shmidling (aka JSP aka Malt Mill) and it's a workhorse. I bought it used from a VERY active LHBS in Tampa, so it got a LOT of use there. I've run about 1,000,000 pounds of grain through it. It has never faultered or given me a reason to mess with it. Just wow.

It only has one driven roller; the other is passive. I think Schmidling makes one that is geared between the rollers, but I can't imagine what that would accomplish after the years of success with this model.

I have a Shmidling (aka JSP aka Malt Mill) and it's a workhorse. I bought it used from a VERY active LHBS in Tampa, so it got a LOT of use there. I've run about 1,000,000 pounds of grain through it. It has never faultered or given me a reason to mess with it. Just wow.

It only has one driven roller; the other is passive. I think Schmidling makes one that is geared between the rollers, but I can't imagine what that would accomplish after the years of success with this model.

A million pounds of grain? That's ~100,000 5 gallon batches (admittedly lower OG batches, but...). How long have you been brewing, and what size batches?

About 10 years.

I brew 5,000g batches. Yep, my consumption did increase when I started kegging. :drunk:

Look Out! ATF will be visiting you tomorrow!;)

If you do a quick reread of his original post you would see hes talking about the volume of the LHBS that he brought the used mill from.

I just reread it, and he said "I've run 1,000,000 pounds throught it." I suppose he could have meant that in the sense of it including the amount that the LHBS had put through it. However, he didn't say that.

I ordered the Malt Mill, so glad to hear of the endorsement!

My previous mill was a Barley Crusher. I know when a pebble or such causes an issue and that hasn't been the problem.

I reckon if the rollers were wider as on the Monster Mill or others, the issue wouldn't happen as much if at all, but since I'm upgrading, 2 rollers being driven is just a BETTER concept so I figure I may as well go that route and be absolutely sure not to experience the problem again.

Back