Bottle Storage Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rde123

Reaction score
I'm a noob brewing my first batch (triple hopped ale), and I'm almost ready to bottle. The problem/question I have is my house is a cold house, at 62 degrees. I'm wondering if this is too cold for bottle storage preventing carbonation? Has anyone stored their newly bottled stuff around these temps?

That's warm enough to carbonate. It may take a bit longer than average, but 3 weeks or so and your beer should be carbonated.

Cooler temps may slow down carbonation, but that's not nearly cold enough to prevent carbonation completely.

Don't even bother opening them for 6 weeks or so at that temp. My loft in the winter is around that, and it can take upwards of 6-8 weeks for them to carb up. For normal beers that is.

If you have a room with a water heater, washer and dryer, of even your furnace I would set them close to those heat sources.

Yea I'll take some temp readings all over and see what I can get up to. Thanks a bunch.

My fermentation temp was kept pretty steady, is the beer as sensitive to temps once it's been bottled. Will a ten degree swing kill shock the yeast for carbonation?

Any large (especially sudden) temperature swings are not good for the beer, but 10 degrees over a a day or two won't have a noticible detrimental impact.

Back