Blackberry Wine How to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbeer

Reaction score
Hey Folks

I'd like to make a batch of Blackberry wine, and I have a ton of berries in the freezer, some yeast, sugar and camden tablets.
I guess my questions are : How many berries for a 5 gal batch?
Do I need pectic enzyme?
How do I get the wine to turn out dry?

I am totally new to this, I've brewed a few beer kits and one batch of Apfelwein. I could use some help.

My favorite winemaking site is jackkeller.net. It's kind of hard to navigate, but it's worth it!

My best blackberry wine recipe is taken directly from that site. It's a good one, and it's easy. You shouldn't have any problems at all. It's in the recipe database, under "wine" or easily found under the recipe pulldown by my avatar.

Thanks YooperBrew.

I'm wondering if I can make this without the pectic enzyme. I have no way of getting any till I go to the mainland again. Ah the joys of living on a island.

Thanks YooperBrew.

I'm wondering if I can make this without the pectic enzyme. I have no way of getting any till I go to the mainland again. Ah the joys of living on a island.

It isn't necessary. What it does is to help break down the pectins in the fruit. The wine will ferment just fine without it. Using pectic enzyme helps the wine be clearer, without a pectin haze.

When I make wine, I usually follow a 3-2-1 ratio.
3 lbs of fruit
2 lbs of sugar
1 gallon of water
+ all the goodies like yeast nutrients, acid blend, etc

How do I get the wine to turn out dry?

Make it. Sweet blackberry wine is just about impossible to make without back-sweetening.

My last batch:

20 lbs blackberries - frozen and thawed
4 gal. water
5 lbs sugar
6 campden tablets
4 tsp peptic enzyme

Bag the berries and put everything in the pail.

After 24 hours add K1-V1116 yeast

7 days later

Remove berry bag and add 7.5 lbs sugar

OG ~ 1.109
FG - 0.991 after 6 weeks

Back