Thin layer of "something" during secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WumpBrewing

Reaction score
Hello again guys! I have yet another question, mainly because I haven't seen this in any of my other brews! I racked one brew into secondary a few weeks ago, first week I began to notice something forming on top. It looks basically just like a glare from the carboy and lights. I looked at it tonight, and the thin layer is now completely over it. I know there is a thin layer of something there because I used my carboy thief to take a sample and I could see it break up. And tonight I was just curious and decided to tilt the carboy and I saw some yellowish particles form around the sides. During this I also so rather large bubbles. I don't believe it is infected... is this thin layer and yellow particles possibly the yeast still? Any ideas? Thanks guys in advance!

Yellowish particles and a film on top.
If it looks slimy and really thin, I would think some bacteria.
Most likely an infection but a picture would really help.
If your bottling you should be able to rack below it into your bucket and have some great beer, but try to disturb the top as little as possible and clean and sanitize everything very well.

It smells fine... just like beer. I tried to take pictures, but it's so thin it's barely noticeable. I'll try again however.

yeah, it is shiny, the only thing that is strange about it is when I disturbed it a little it did make some yellowish particles around the edges.

Those are likely yeast clumps. I have those all the time. Around the edges and just under the surface on top.

yeah, that's what I was also thinking! Sweet. And no, it is not a peanut butter porter, sounds intriguing, but it is a mild brown ale. Thanks for all the help guys! If it can be anything else let me know! Thank you!

Back