Does a tower do anything special or just look cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging and for the life of me can't figure out why so many people use them instead of just taps on the side of the fridge. Seems like all the hassle of keeping the tower cooled and insulated isn't worth what you gain for a cool looking tower.

I'm new to kegging and for the life of me can't figure out why so many people use them instead of just taps on the side of the fridge. Seems like all the hassle of keeping the tower cooled and insulated isn't worth what you gain for a cool looking tower.

A kegerator's always going to look like a kegerator, so I'd just go with taps on the side unless you have a short fridge and putting a tower on top makes it easier to reach and serve.

For a bar, a tower just plain looks better.

Maybe they don't want to throw their back out bending over to pour a beer.:D

Not everyone has the room/money to spend on a full sized fridge.

Zane have you ever been to Jd's sandwich shop? I've been going to Cookeville every Friday night for the past 10 years and never heard of it until last week. 35 beers on tap and yummy rubens.

Yeah, I've been once. They do have some good sandwiches. I can't remember what beers they had really, I just got some Killian's pitchers.

You (your cats, kids, drunk friends, etc.) are much less likely to bump the taps on a tower.

It Just looks cool.....

bar.JPG

If I went to someone's house and saw that... I'd have to kneel and utter a short prayer of thanks to Dionysus before I could even think about drinking from it.

I am transferring from a collar to a tower because i have my kegerator in my living room now, and although my wood working skills are acceptable, a professionally built tower looks much nicer...

Like already mentioned - THEY LOOK AWESOME ON A BAR!!!! On my 4 tap tower I've got two beer, one sparkling wine and one Coke-Cola.

355738913.jpg

355739020.jpg

I've got a small fridge large enough inside to fit a cornie and a 5lb CO2 tank. I can see going through the hassle of cooling a tower for a nice bar like some of you have but not on a small fridge like mine. I can't decide if I'm just gonna start out with the picnic tap or go straight to the perlick on the upper portion of the door.

Yeah, when I start kegging (soon) I'm planning on going cheap (ie picnic tap in a fridge) until I get a bar built and put a nice tap on it.

If I spend more than the minimum money on anything in between, it'll be a portable cooler with taps for kegs on the go (or something else that I'll keep and use even after I've got the bar in).

Back