Sour Wine Style (not Vinegar)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
I enjoy sour beer styles like lambics and gueuzes, and I was wondering if there are wine styles that are wild fermented or otherwise fermented to achieve a controlled sourness (not necessarily acetobacter/vinegar). At first blush I'd assume that the higher average ABV of wines is against this, but maybe some smaller wines might be possible?

You may be interested in kombucha which is fermented tea, and you can do a secondary ferment to build the flavor profile. You do need a kombucha mushroom to ferment with, looks like a mother of vinegar but it is not the same organism structure. Kombucha beer and wine is commercially available across the US.

I have an accidental ginger pear that is "sour" but not viniger. Not shure how it got that way. Not too fond of it either. My local HBS guy is also befuddeled. I'm about ready to bottel it and lose it in the hopes it becomes drinkable.

Latest posts

Back