Apple flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, when I took my FG on my current batch it tasted like green apple flavor. Do I bottle as normal or toss it? Any help would be great!

Should I just toss it?
That depends. If it's more then a few weeks old, then it probably won't get better. If it's drinkable then drink it. If you haven't bottled it yet, and it's still young, then you might want to save yourself some effort and condition it all together for a while and see if it gets better.

There isn't anything in it that is going to hurt you. Just something that doesn't taste very good.

If you have a garden, your plants might like some. Even if it is undrinkable.

IF it's under a month old, in primary, then give it a few more weeks and check it again. If it's been a week since you pitched the yeast, for god's sake leave it the F alone and let the yeast do it's job.

"green apple" flavor is GREEN BEER as in too bloody young to think about bottling. If you fermented on the warm side, then it's probably why it's even more evident. Just give it more time and check it again later.

99% of the time, new brewers will rush things due to being told by the LHBS short time frames. Without tight temperature control, pitching the right amount of yeast at the start, great oxygenation methods, those time frames (99% of the time) are bunk. Especially for ales.

IF it's under a month old, in primary, then give it a few more weeks and check it again. If it's been a week since you pitched the yeast, for god's sake leave it the F alone and let the yeast do it's job.

"green apple" flavor is GREEN BEER as in too bloody young to think about bottling. If you fermented on the warm side, then it's probably why it's even more evident. Just give it more time and check it again later.

99% of the time, new brewers will rush things due to being told by the LHBS short time frames. Without tight temperature control, pitching the right amount of yeast at the start, great oxygenation methods, those time frames (99% of the time) are bunk. Especially for ales.

It's been in primary for 2 weeks today

It's been in primary for 2 weeks today

Then give it [at least] another 2 weeks right where it is. Without knowing what you made, what temperatures it fermented at, what yeast you used, it's impossible to say anything beyond give it TIME... Time will cure most ale's... There are some things it can't fix, but young beer is one of them (things it CAN fix).

Then give it [at least] another 2 weeks right where it is. Without knowing what you made, what temperatures it fermented at, what yeast you used, it's impossible to say anything beyond give it TIME... Time will cure most ale's... There are some things it can't fix, but young beer is one of them.

Perfect. I will give it a try. I will let you know how it goes

Then give it [at least] another 2 weeks right where it is. Without knowing what you made, what temperatures it fermented at, what yeast you used, it's impossible to say anything beyond give it TIME... Time will cure most ale's... There are some things it can't fix, but young beer is one of them.

It does have some particles floating in it when I've takin the FG

It does have some particles floating in it when I've takin the FG

Those particles are probably clumps of yeast or some hop debris and they are floating because the ferment is still going on. Give it more time an the floaties will settle out.

so i let it sit in fermenting for for another 2 weeks and all the apple flavor went away. thank you guys for all your help!!!

so i let it sit in fermenting for for another 2 weeks and all the apple flavor went away. thank you guys for all your help!!!

Now you know why we just leave our beers in primary until they're ready. IMO/IME, better to let them go another week or four than bottle/keg it too soon and be pissed off at what you pour to glass.

Now you know why we just leave our beers in primary until they're ready. IMO/IME, better to let them go another week or four than bottle/keg it too soon and be pissed off at what you pour to glass.

This is the best part about learning!

Yeah, all it takes is time....had the same thing happen to a beer I just did recently....went on vacation, came back and sampled and voila! green apple was gone!

Back