The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we're on the topic of absurdity and zombie-ish creatures, what's up with that I Am Legend movie? I have a lot of complaints. Totally unbelievable that something like that could ever happen!! And if it could, the creatures wouldn't be afraid of sunlight. Plus, Will Smith's character was horribly written. I just don't believe how he could be the last person alive, yet also a brilliant geneticist who is on the verge of curing the disease. Hmppfff...Go figure?!?

That zombie chick at the end of "I Am Legend" was sort of hot except for the bulging veins in her head.

First comment. Ha!

David Emerson Powell · Top Commenter
The Zombies showed up at his place looking for brains but didn't find any....

Now watch, someone will bring a lawsuit against AMC because the show was the (alleged) source of violence

When it comes to gas, mowed grass, acquiring food, going to the bathroom, etc, I have no problem accepting that stuff because they don't show it. When something isn't shown, I just assume that they do it during "off camera" moments, so to speak. No matter what I am watching, I only nit-pick details of things that are shown.

Besides, grass? Who cares. Gas? Siphon it out of pre-90's cars which would be all over red neck-ville. Ammo? The show already covered the fact that the "zombies" and subsequent breakdown of society happened so fast not many people survived, ie, there's ammo everywhere that people had no time to use. If the show was set in NYC, I'd be nitpicking the ammo issue, but not in a state like Georgia.

And when it comes to going to the bathroom, anyone who wants to see that is just weird anyway!

Here you go...

Zombie-Taking-a-Dump.jpg

With all the ammo and accuracy talk, maybe I just missed it. But where does Daryle get the bolts for his crossbow? I know he retrieves them, but does he never lose one? And is a crossbow really the weapon you would use to clear the corridors of the prison? Also, after killing countless zombies with the bolts and just wiping them on your pant leg, would you eat any animal you shot with one? Daryle is my favorite character and I can overlook the fact he has a magic crossbow... just wish I had one too.

Correct me if I'm wrong... a bullet that size (9mm if Im not mistaken, I dont think it was the .44 hand cannon) would make a yittle bitty hole in the face, and blow the back of the head off in the goriest way imaginable, right? The face would be intact...

Well Ricks gun is a python its a 357 magnum [I only know this because I Have an obsession with that gun], slighly weaker than the 44 magnum. I have shot a few deer,hogs, and grounhogs with a 357, It at close range [inside of 25 yds] Would most likely have hae smashed up a bit of the bone sround the entrence would, deforming it a good bit but not blowing a hollywood hole it it. I doubt it would have had enough energy to pop his head like a grape [But the bones inside would be a mess from the overpressure of that hot round coming through].

Ohio ed in season two they had shown daryle making bolts for his crossbow, aleast presumably thats what he was doin by de-barking sticks and splitting bird feathers. He showed up with wooden bolts later on, signaling to me that had to be what he was doing. I didnt notice this season if he had carbon or allumnum bolts, but he could have found them scavenging in rural georgia is its anything like here, There are prolly 5 guys on my street that have a crossbow and a dozen or so bolts
Would i want a crossbow in that situation yes and no- I wouldnt go room to room with it, but it could be highly useful in other situations

With all the ammo and accuracy talk, maybe I just missed it. But where does Daryle get the bolts for his crossbow? I know he retrieves them, but does he never lose one? And is a crossbow really the weapon you would use to clear the corridors of the prison? Also, after killing countless zombies with the bolts and just wiping them on your pant leg, would you eat any animal you shot with one? Daryle is my favorite character and I can overlook the fact he has a magic crossbow... just wish I had one too.

I've wondered about his crossbow bolts too.
It would be nice to see him sitting down and making new ones some time.

As for him bringing it to clear a prison or whatever, it would be good to have one stealthily zombie killer with you at all times.

Ohio ed in season two they had shown daryle making bolts for him crossbow, aleast presumably thats what he was doin by de-barking sticks and splitting bird feathers. He showed up with wooden bolts later on, signaling to me that had to be what he was doing. I didnt notice this season if he had carbon or allumnum bolts, but he could have found them scavenging in rural gergia is its anything like here, There ar prolly 5 guys on my street that have a crossbow and a dozen or so bolts

I don't remember that but I certainly believe you.
That explains that mystery.

I have no probs with crossbows or katans, they are there primarily to look cool.. I'd like to see someone with an arming sword as well, they are cool too. :)

Since the season is over for now....

I'd arm myself with my .22 rifle, a few handguns - especially my .44 Mag - and a sword. I have a decent rapier, but it would have to be sharpened. I'd also carry my deceased grandfather's knife that I use for destroying everything that I can't destroy with a gun. It's a heavy bastard and would be my weapon of last resort. My .22 weighs like 7lbs max and everything else I listed is inconsequential, so I think I'd reasonably be able to carry those weapons and the required ammo for long period of time without sacrificing free movement.

I have a .30-30 that's dead accurate and also fairly light, so between the .22 and that one it's a toss up really. I'd carry both if I could just to give me more options in regards to scavenged ammo.

I'd arm myself with my .22 rifle, a few handguns - especially my .44 Mag - and a sword. I have a decent rapier, but it would have to be sharpened. I'd also carry my deceased grandfather's knife that I use for destroying everything that I can't destroy with a gun. It's a heavy bastard and would be my weapon of last resort. My .22 weighs like 7lbs max and everything else I listed is inconsequential, so I think I'd reasonably be able to carry those weapons and the required ammo for long period of time without sacrificing free movement.

I have a .30-30 that's dead accurate and also fairly light, so between the .22 and that one it's a toss up really. I'd carry both if I could just to give me more options in regards to scavenged ammo.

Makes me think of an interview I saw with Max Brooks on his thoughts of what weapon would be best, he sited the .22 for those reasons; accuracy, light weight, and plentiful ammo. However he also said that for a vehicle, he'd prefer a bike because you'd be able to repair it and there would be no need for gas. Not sure I'm totally on board with that idea.

I have no probs with crossbows or katans, they are there primarily to look cool.. I'd like to see someone with an arming sword as well, they are cool too. :)

Wearing a suit of armor and carrying an arming sword, methinks this would make for an epic zombie battle.

I don't remember that but I certainly believe you.
That explains that mystery.

It was actually an easy to miss scene, it was when he was mad at the world and at his quasi- lone wolf camp on the edge of the farm, it just looked like he was whittling a stick or two, but he had feathers laying around.

I second 99% of what you said!
I think I to would go for a semi auto mag fed .22, like a 10/22 with a couple hotlips mags. Handgun or two I have a .45 but would most likely want a 9mm and 357 mag or 44 mag. I think i would choose an ontario type machete with a bolo tip, poly and leather handle and steel handgaurd.
I have an old usgi alice back [vietnam era] That i have fit all that into before.

If going by car I have a folding shotgun and ak with a folder that would ride along. Because if you absolutely positively have to kill everything around you.. ak-47

I'd rather have the gas for cars. Think of how effective a car would be against zombies. I'd spend most of my time in a big effin' truck mowing them down!

Just gota find one of those bad ass swat trucks that are practically tanks and can run through walls and stuff.. oh yeah :)

y'mean like the ones rick saw in atlanta and just passed by? Still sore about that point...

Thats not to mention that he was in an EFFING TANK, and didnt bother to see if it ran. I mean c'mon a hoard of zombies outside, 3+ inches of armor between you and them, its worth a looksie around. Even if it didnt run all the m240s and m-16s they passed up on the way in to the cdc is enough to make one question there sanity Those have always killed me, I mean what human wouldnt try and take advantage of that?

I have secertly always wanted one of the volvo armored vehices to turn into a camper. It would kill on gasbut who else would have one.

Thats not to mention that he was in an EFFING TANK, and didnt bother to see if it ran. I mean c'mon a hoard of zombies outside, 3+ inches of armor between you and them, its worth a looksie around. Even if it didnt run all the m240s and m-16s they passed up on the way in to the cdc is enough to make one question there sanity Those have always killed me, I mean what human wouldnt try and take advantage of that?

I have secertly always wanted one of the volvo armored vehices to turn into a camper. It would kill on gasbut who else would have one.

Tanks have 50 caliber machine guns on them also!!! A big 50 would mow down zombies like no tomorrow. It would be handy for taking over the governor's little town also.

Well Ricks gun is a python its a 357 magnum [I only know this because I Have an obsession with that gun], slighly weaker than the 44 magnum. I have shot a few deer,hogs, and grounhogs with a 357, It at close range [inside of 25 yds] Would most likely have hae smashed up a bit of the bone sround the entrence would, deforming it a good bit but not blowing a hollywood hole it it. I doubt it would have had enough energy to pop his head like a grape [But the bones inside would be a mess from the overpressure of that hot round coming through].

Ohio ed in season two they had shown daryle making bolts for his crossbow, aleast presumably thats what he was doin by de-barking sticks and splitting bird feathers. He showed up with wooden bolts later on, signaling to me that had to be what he was doing. I didnt notice this season if he had carbon or allumnum bolts, but he could have found them scavenging in rural georgia is its anything like here, There are prolly 5 guys on my street that have a crossbow and a dozen or so bolts
Would i want a crossbow in that situation yes and no- I wouldnt go room to room with it, but it could be highly useful in other situations

Crossbows are becoming increasingly common in Michigan because they can now be used by anyone during bow season. So I'm thinking Daryl's choice of weapon requires skill and patience but is very effective. He can make bolts, retrieve them, they're much more silent than a gunshot, and I think I've seen him go all Legolas and stab some walkers with bolt in hand.

I'd take a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol. They're light, easy to shoot, ammo is light and abundant. I'd also want a GLOCK 9mm since 9mm rounds are also common and GLOCKs are some of the most reliable handguns around. I'd carry a big knife and machete (like what they use to cut through bamboo) and if I had could manage to carry an AK-47, that'd be my assault weapon of choice.

It's just too bad real life isn't like Fallout where you only have to worry about weight rather than space. Or make friends with a docile Mutant and make him carry all your stuff (including a couple of miniguns).

Avoiding the use of the tank was likely due to production costs. A tank, cruising the streets of Atlanta, with actors in its proximity? The insurance for that scene would be insane. Besides, starting and driving a tank has a bit of a learning curve attached.

Avoiding the use of the tank was likely due to production costs. A tank, cruising the streets of Atlanta, with actors in its proximity? The insurance for that scene would be insane. Besides, starting and driving a tank has a bit of a learning curve attached.

Not to mention the series would be over already :p

Honestly, I'm waiting for someone to find out that North America is the only place with zombies and then North Korea get's to finally nuke the hell out of the US.

Well with the break in the show till February, I thought I would check netflix and see if the movie that really put zombies on the map was listed.
Night of the living dead isn't on netflix!! I've seen the show many times but it's a classic horror flick and always fun to watch. It is what makes the step away from reality a lot smaller for the walking dead. We've been use to zombies since '68!
It's on comcast's on demand list, but I don't want to pay $3 for a 44 year old movie.

Any details on how they actually caught Daryl? Did I miss that? Seems like he's a guy who wouldn't be caught too easily.

Back