Mash is still fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodolmtndew

Reaction score
I had this thing pushin bubbles through the air lock for 9 days now. I thought it only took 5-7 days. Can anyone help me find out why it's still going?

I believe you mean wort and not mash. But it can be a variable number of factors. First off, if you still have healthy yeast and fermentable sugar then your going to still be fermenting. You have to consider also that temperature plays a factor in fermentation, the lower your fermenting temperature depending on your yeast may slow things down. Next consider your original gravity, was it high and did you pitch the right amount of yeast? Lastly, are you sure your still fermenting or are your off gassing? Take a gravity reading and check it again tomorrow. If its lower then today then yes your still fermenting.

Have you taken any gravity readings with a hydrometer? Just because you see bubbles, doesn't mean its fermenting. Also, what are you brewing, what yeast, was your sanitation good? Lots of variable here.

take a gravity reading. Bubbles mean nothing except Co2 is coming out of solution. Buy a hydrometer, sanitize a turkey baster, pull some beer out into a test jar, put the hydrometer in it, record reading in gravity (1.xxx) and also record temperature of sample, then correct for temperature. Take a few readings days apart. Same reading=done. Give it a few days to clean up after that, though.

You'll find lots of great information here, and lots of really helpful people sharing their expertise.

If you look here you can get a start.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Primary_Fermentation

or

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8.html

But of course it may be overwhelming when you are first starting out.

Can you be more specific about your question? For example, can you tell us your gravity of the wort, selected yeast, and temperature of fermentation?

Also, is an extract beer?

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

I forgot to mention that I am not brewing beer. This stuffs a little harder

I'm using regular redstar yeast. I haven't bothered with a hydrometer. The temp is about 75-80

There's simply no way to tell if it's done fermenting without gravity readings. Rule of thumb comes into play eventually but you're pretty early in the game for that.

For some reason my phone is acting weird with this app. I meant to say. I checked it with a refractometer and it read 16.3 bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back