I'm worried my second batch didnt' ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
Well basically it didn't bubble at all in the primary, although an inch of krausen residue was left when I racked it to secondary after nine days or so. It's been in the secondary for two days now and there is a lot of trub. But I have a sinking suspicion that it never fermented at all! I broke my hydrometer tonight making my third batch so I can't hydro it...please help! I just don't want it to turn out like my first batch (crap).

Perhaps I could sprinkle some dry yeast on top of it to ensure complete fermentation? I figure if there isn't any sugar left, it won't hurt anything...but if there is sugar left I should be able to see it ferment and see activity.

I think the easy way to find out if it's fermented is to take a little taste. If it's sweeter than the beer should be, then it didn't ferment. If the sweetness is gone, then it's done. It's the sugars that are fermentable, after all.
Just my thought!

Lorena

You probably should have waited for the krausen to fall, but the fact that you had krausen form means the wort was fermenting. 95% of the time lack of bubbles in the airlock is just a seal problem. Give it two weeks to clear and it should be ok.

When I used a Irish White Lab yeast I thought I had a stuck fermentation too. Happened over night and I just did not see much that's all. Happens that way sometimes. Sounds like your good to go :) Start planning the next one and forget about this one for a little while.

The krausen fell in on itself, actually. By residue, I meant that crap that builds up on the sides of the fermenter.

homebrewer_99 said:
I agree with David. Sounds like a definite seal problem. It happens.:eek:

It can't be a seal problem, when I press down on my primary fermenter cap the water in the airlock moves.

But I will siphon some out and taste it.

I tasted it...it's kind of sweet...

****. This happened with my first batch, and I don't want it to happen again. Incomplete fermentation.

What can I do?

By the way guys, thanks for the help, you all are great.

Get a new hydrometer and check the gravity. If it is more that 5 points higher than the expected final gravity, pitch some more yeast. You didn't say what kind of ale this is, so it's tough to give any other advice.

Back