Weird Smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
When I racked my beer into secondary, the primary has a weird odor coming from it. It smells like beer but it is really strong, and sort of nauseating. I am just guessing it was because all of the ingredients and such sat in there and did whatever... The beer itself smells alright. IS this normal?

Thats what I thought. My friend who is areally good homebrewer is coming by today.. Maybe I will get his opinion.

Your probably smelling the trub/yeast combo with possible some hops that have settled out... So long as the beer smells good in the secondary fermenter or the bottling bucket it should be ok.... I"ve only got 4 brews under my belt right now but I think I know what your saying... Smells kinda like strong beer that has been let out for awhile...

You know I want to say that this is normal...like everyone said so far it sounds like it's just the yeast. The only reason I say "I want to say" is that "sort of nauseating" is not the words I'd use when I open up a primary. So relax, dont do anything extream.... keep a gentle eye on it.

Beer Snob said:
You know I want to say that this is normal...like everyone said so far it sounds like it's just the yeast. The only reason I say "I want to say" is that "sort of nauseating" is not the words I'd use when I open up a primary. So relax, dont do anything extream.... keep a gentle eye on it.
IMO, he just has an untrained nose...he'll learn to love that smell...:D

I've gotten to the point now where I love to keep my nose right by the air lock during peak fermentation cause I love the smell of my army of millions making the crusade on my behalf to convert the sugar into sweet alchohol... I have caught myself staring at the air lock when there are like 6 minutes between bubbles waiting for a bubble so I can get a sniff...

My wife took a glance at the title to this thread - and said, "Well...I guess he needs to wash."

Yeast farts. lots of them.
The only way around it is to have a beer. This will fix your problem, and if it doesn't, drink another one. Eventually it will stop bubbling.

Back