Lauthering water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diegobritezg

Reaction score
I hace a big question, should you modify your lauther water the same way you do it with your mash water anda then acidify it to reach 5.6. Because if you dont you Will lose the proportion between sulfates and chlorides. Whats your opinion. Please answer back if you really know about this

You can treat all your water at once, if you want. But it's perfectly fine to just treat the mash water, to ensure your mash pH is correct, and then add the rest of the salts (if using more) to the boil kettle and simply sparge with water that has a pH of less than 6, or RO or distilled water.

The "proportion between sulfates and chlorides" is rather meaningless anyway so that doesn't matter in the mash, the lauter, or the boil. What matters is the total added into the kettle (either in the mash or into the kettle itself) so that you have the amount you need for the effect you desire.

Yes thats the Hard thing, Because you dont how much of your mash water finsh in the boil and how much in the grains, thats why i treath All the water and acidify my sparge water, there is no problem with pales but with dark styles y sounds a contradiction add salts and then acid... (my water is really soft) im sory if english is poor

Yes thats the Hard thing, Because you dont how much of your mash water finsh in the boil and how much in the grains, thats why i treath All the water and acidify my sparge water, there is no problem with pales but with dark styles y sounds a contradiction add salts and then acid... (my water is really soft) im sory if english is poor

For dark styles, you may not need any acid at all in the mash, and you still want your sparge water to not have alkalinity. So, it's not really a contradiction.

Filter through a carbon filter, remove chlorine, and brew.

The rest has such a minor impact on your beer that it's not worth it. If you don't believe me, brew four identical batches in four identical fermenters, one with treated water and three without. Have a friend mix them up while you're in another room, and check on them as normal within two weeks. See if you can pick the treated one after carbonation and conditioning as finished.

Do this with a 100% success rate over 10 brew sessions, and I'll consider that maybe it's a bigger deal than I really believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back