Rauchbier Red Smoke (Classic Rauchbier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanRyanRyan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
Yeast Starter
smack pack
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
50F
Tasting Notes
smokey, red lager. just a touch smokey, but definitely noticable.
Amount Item Type % or IBU

3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 37.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 25.0 %
2 lbs Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 25.0 %
1 lbs Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %

1.25 oz Northern Brewer [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.2 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.30%] (30 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.30%] (15 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

Rauchbier should be 20-100% smoked malt, so i did a little more than the minimum at 25%. This would probably be better converted to an all-grain batch, but it was really good anyway.

This was the first time trying a hybrid of a partial mash and steeping specialty grains with extract, mainly so I would only have to buy one 3 lb bag of dme instead of two. I steeped the grains for an hour or so @155F. In the last 15 min, I brought them slowly back up to about 165F, emulating a step mash. I think I also sparged the grains with the ol' tea kettle.

I'm not sure if my notes are correct, but I believe the primary and secondary each took two weeks.

This was the first time trying a hybrid of a partial mash and steeping specialty grains with extract

Upon researching to find out what I have actually been doing, I've learned that I've been doing a Brew in a Bag technique with extract. So...a partial mash. I've decided to embrace an all-grain Brew in a Bag procedure and just pay more attention to to refining the mash/steep process.

If I develop an all grain version of Red Smoke, I will share!

How did this taste?

Rauchbier-y?

The only commercial rauchs I've tried had closer to %100 rauch malt and tasted like a bbq. Mine is noticeably smokey but balanced with a rich maltiness from the Munich and caraaroma.

I thought this beer was awesome. I eventually brewed an all grain version and will post that soon

Here's what I did with the all grain version:

3.5 lbs us 2 row
3 lbs Munich
3 lbs smoked malt
1 lb caraaroma
10oz honey malt

.5 oz northern brewer FWH
.5 oz northern brewer @60
.5 oz hallertauer @30
.5 oz hallertauer @15

Wyeast 2124 bohemian lager

I added some honey malt apparently. I was also experimenting with first wort hopping at the time and threw half of the bittering addition into the first wort.

This is the version that I really remember tasting and loving. I think I had almost 90% efficiency on this one, making it a 7.7 abv double rauch, if you will.

Looks pretty tasty! I will have to give it a try some day soon. Unfortunately I just bought up 3 lbs. of hops (Mosaic, Galaxy and Amarillo) that need to be IPA'd in the near future.

Hey, I'm trying to formulate my recipe for a rauchbier (and using yours as kind of a jumping off point so thanks!).

How much of a hop character did you find with just .25 oz of both flavor and aroma hops? How malty/balanced was your beer? I want mine really close to balanced, but maybe a touch on the malty side.

I've been told that hops mask the smoke a bit. I've also been told once that smoke doesn't go well with hop flavor, and that hop flavor goes well with hops (I guess it would depend on the type used?) What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks man!

Back