Should entire contents of boil pot be added to fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonzoAPD

Reaction score
Should entire contents of boil pot be added to fermenting bucket or should I strain it when dumping into the bucket?

Opinions vary on this, but typically you can add the entire contents without worry. It will all settle out post fermentation.

Some more experienced brewers have the ability to leave the hops and trub behind, but for a new brewer, RDWHAHB and cheers!

That's really one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

A whirlpool helps.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

Either way works just fine... depends on if you have a spigot on the brew kettle, how you cool it, and the type of beer/hops/trub used and or created. These days I tend to let the wort settle a bit prior to sending it thru the plate chiller and it it's a big beer with a lot of hops, I'll strain it into the conical or buckets. Doesn't really matter though, just makes harvesting yeast a tad easier.... Have a fun...

I strain all going into the fermenter. Less trub that way. Especially now that I have some yeast worth washing.

I use hop sacks in the BK & dry hopping. Large dual layer fine mesh strainer on top of the fermenters. Large paint strainer bag for biab partial mash partial boil.

No. Fill it to the 5G mark to keep the specific gravity in the intended range. The resulting trub will compact over the couple week it'll be in there.

If I put the trub in, should I fill the fermenting bucket over the 5 gallon mark?

Depends on your recipe, but yes I usually plan for 5.25- 5.5 gallons in my primary bucket to account for trub loss and siphoning to bottle bucket loss.
And yes, when moving from BK to fermentator, I strain through a kitchen strainer. Removes most of the hop material, break material and irish moss.

Back