scaremongering nonsense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A real doctor would have given their sources of information. This was probably just copy/paste from fox news... Which also doesn't really give out sources to their "news"

Anything is potentially fatal. To quote the article:

"The greatest danger from kombucha seems to arise in “home brew” versions that have become contaminated because of improper preparation and/or when kombucha interacts with alcohol or prescription drugs."

In other words, infected batches and mixing with drugs/alcohol. That, plus people with serious health conditions that are trying to medicate themselves with kombucha are already ill.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kombucha-tea/AN01658
take a look at this ridiculousness , this seems like an out right premeditated attack on kombucha ha. trying to associate kombucha with lead poisoning , anyone with critical thinking capabilities should sense an agenda and get a spike of interest in the oposing direction ha.

Peculiar article. He says the health benefits are unsubstantiated (mostly true) but then after dismissing almost all of what is said about kombucha he goes on to give some completely unsubstantiated reports of the very rare negative claims. If we're just going on completely unsubstantiated information from the public, it's obviously overwhelmingly positive. He stoops to using a negative like lead poisoning from brewing in ceramic containers! Even neglecting to mention that this would be fine unless you were using a lead glaze, and who the heck is going to brew kombucha in a lead-glazed pot?

I hate to sound like one of those 'modern medicine is a load of big brother big money conspiracy' type crackpots, but his motive seems purely to dissuade people from alternative health products. I do agree though that if you have a serious medical problem you should be seeking proper help and not relying on something like kombucha. It's a healthy thing to consume, not a medicine. It's a shame this guy gives credibility to the 'doctors are evil' camp.

Oh wow, I just read the first article! What a load of crap! Kombucha isn't going to give you hepatitis or anthrax! ANTHRAX? For crying out loud, what nonsense.

And how is kombucha going to interact dangerously with alcohol? It already has alcohol in it, there's nothing in it which reacts badly with alcohol. If fermented yeast products and alcohol don't mix safely I suppose we probably need to stop mixing breathing oxygen and drinking water within 24 hours of each other.

I second that! Ive felt nothing but amazing since I started drinking KT...in fact my boss has seen the difference to such a degree that when I have a large workload for the day he tells me I better grab some KT for the day!

Back