3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a pound from Yakima Valley also. It was in two packages; I'm assuming eight ounces each but I have not broken it open yet.

There was no AA percentage listed. Anyone else?

I ordered a pound from Yakima Valley also. It was in two packages; I'm assuming eight ounces each but I have not broken it open yet.

There was no AA percentage listed. Anyone else?

Mine was listed as 14.8% (whole leaf). Assuming yours would be the same?

My Yakima order should be here today. I will post when it arrives

Awesome, keep us updated!

Also, I should say I hate to even complain about .75 oz. I haven't ruled out my own scale as being at fault, although it is usually very accurate, so I would like to see other's experiences before I say anything. I would think the company would like to know if there is a problem with their weighing process etc... So not really trying to complain bc otherwise the service was pretty spot on.

My order didn't arrive today. It is still stuck in Washington since Nov. 30. Hopefully tomorrow.

I got mine yesterday. It weighed 1 lb with the package. So I probably am about the same as you.

ForumRunner_20121204_170801.png

Got mine yesterday also. It weighed in right at a pound also. So...Im not too worried. Going to make great beer with it no matter what. Just happy to get a bulk amount for a decent price.

I just got two Zombie Dust in the mail on a beer swap. They obviously don't distribute to my area. I can not wait to try one tonight. If it's as good as I hear it is I will def try a clone in the near future.

Had a chance to weigh my Citra that I just got. 1.03 lbs. Not too shabby. Ill take it. Going to try and make this clone next week! Woot woot!!:rockin:

Anyone get their order from yakima valley yet? Got mine yesterday, incredibly fast service but... I broke the pound up into 2 and 4 oz bags and only ended up with 15.25 ounces... Every other place I've ordered from I've usually gotten 18-20 ounces. Not that I was expecting to get MORE than a pound but...not even a full pound? What gives? :confused: Not a huge deal I suppose but was just a little disappointed with that...

This is my 3rd time ordering from them and while the first 2 orders were right on the money the pound of Citra I received earlier this week was 2oz short plus some baling string mixed in with the hops. I sent them an email and within the hour it was confirmed the balance of my pound would be shipped out the next day and today I received my missing 2oz. Time to try this Zombie Dust recipe finally!

Just took a gravity reading and it was 1.021. A little high any one know what would have caused it to be so high?

It's been 11 days and I think my temps were right

11 days should be pretty well done, maybe not the last point or two, but close.

Other than a yeast problem, a high mash temp is the most common cause. Maybe give it a rock back and forth to stir up the yeast a bit and see if it cranks up again.

I usually give mine 3 weeks in the primary till I transfer to dry hop. Give it another week and see if it comes down a little more.

Just took a gravity reading and it was 1.021. A little high any one know what would have caused it to be so high?

I brewed ten gallons, 5 with us-05 and 5 with s-04 and both crapped out at 1.021. I'm dry hopping now. I mashed at 154 for 60 min.

Just kegged this up today after the 10 dry hop, it tastes so damn good and my whole room smelled like tropical fruit while transferring to the keg. Cannot wait to tear into this.

Man citra is potent. Mine has been on tap for a while now and it still has plenty of wonderful hop smell and flavor.

Getting another case of ZD from FFF's tomorrow. Thanks to my friend who has to 'travel' to Indiana for business. Life is good!

Got 2 pounds of Citra and am definitely brewing this soon! Has everyone had good luck with just one packet of S-04, or should I pitch two of them? Mr Malty is saying 1.1 packets.

Got 2 pounds of Citra and am definitely brewing this soon! Has everyone had good luck with just one packet of S-04, or should I pitch two of them? Mr Malty is saying 1.1 packets.

1 should be fine.

Not trying to start a S04 flame, but I'm not a big fan of that yeast. I'd go S-05 for dry, but that's just me.

1 should be fine.

Not trying to start a S04 flame, but I'm not a big fan of that yeast. I'd go S-05 for dry, but that's just me.

Hmm...maybe I'll just use 1056, I have a bunch of it I harvested from my last batch.

I've made this 4 times and have used S-04 three times and 1056 once. I will always use the S-04 on this recipe. I liked it much better. I used 2 packets for 5.5 gallons and it finishes on or very nearly the same all three times.

This beer and 3floyds beers in general ten to have more body and a higher FG.

Im sure its good with the chico strain but less like the original.

Ive had succes with S-04, Wlp002, Wyeast 1968, and my personal fav 1450(Dennys Fav)

I've made this 4 times and have used S-04 three times and 1056 once. I will always use the S-04 on this recipe. I liked it much better. I used 2 packets for 5.5 gallons and it finishes on or very nearly the same all three times.

Two packets of S-04 it is then.

This beer and 3floyds beers in general ten to have more body and a higher FG.

Im sure its good with the chico strain but less like the original.

Ive had succes with S-04, Wlp002, Wyeast 1968, and my personal fav 1450(Dennys Fav)

I've had their Dreadnaught which is pretty dang good, but have never had the opportunity to try their Zombie Dust. It sure does sound good! Looking forward to making this.

Used about 1.5 packages of S-04. I hit 1.016, but I mashed around 150. Was hoping for lower, but I guess it is what it is. I will tell you that using 100% Citra (except Warrior for bittering) makes an incredible beer. I tasted the hydro sample and it is drinkable right there! I still am going to dry hop then keg. So, Ill report back. But its a great beer!!!

I used 1 and it was fine. Fermentation seemed to go well and bottling tomorrow night. I can't wait to try this one!

I just brewed this tonight. I over shot my original gravity at 1.068 but loved the hydro sample. I am excited about an all citra. Living in pa, we can't find this buy I am anxious to try the clone. Look forward to getting out there soon. Maybe on a cyclocross tour.

I'm taking another stab at this one on Saturday. My first batch was amazing, even though my FG was low at 1.014. This time, my LHBS was out of 2-row (imagine that). Instead I'm going with an all Golden Promise base malt and subbing Carapils for Carafoam (LHBS had no Carafoam). In order to conserve my precious Citra reserve, I'm going to FWH with something neutral with higher AA (maybe Apollo). Going with US-04 in the low 60's. Wish me luck, and thanks to the OP for such a solid recipe!:mug:

Back