Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Does refrigeration stall conditioning?
I typically bottle condition for 3 weeks before I put a 6 pack in the fridge for the initial quality check. But I have a brown ale that has an grain alcohol kind of taste after it warms up a little. To set it aside for a bit to age it does it need to come out of the fridge?

It might've needed more than 3 weeks to carb & condition. Ime,conditioning takes about a week longer than carbing to be optimum.

Cold slows down conditioning greatly- beer (and wine) will still age at fridge temps, but much more slowly.

Beer ages fastest at room temperature, and very slowly at fridge temps. That's why wines (and beers) are typically cellared to slow down the aging in a controlled temperature environment.

Yep, need to take it out of the fridge. Fridge temps put the yeast to sleep and pretty much halts the aging process.

My first batch was an extract brown ale kit. Was pretty good, though it did have some alcohol warmth to it. It improved slightly with a little age... then at four months, it suddenly transformed to an excellent beer.

Back