Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you try to convince your fiance that Northern Brewer would be a great place to have your wedding registry. ( and when she says no you just pick out everything at Bed Bath and Beyond that can be used for anything brewing-related. Most people register for dishes and silverware - I registered for all the different varietal beer glasses )

Or,as in my case,the study becomes a make shift man cave. I moved my printer to the comp desk,so my old,large printer stand is now my brew station,& storage. Boxes upon boxes of cleaned beer bottles to the right of that. Bottling buckets,auto siphons,10' lengths of tubing...I think this is starting to get out of hand. But,I can sit at the comp,& see/smell my ales brewing. And by this evening,a few boxes full of brew,& my Whiskely ale on the way...hahahehehoho,to the brewery! Where life is beautiful:drunk::D all the time...

"man cave" makes me cringe. I have had one for years but I call it my studio. Its in the attic and only good for the consumer end of the beer making process. I need a friggin garage.

1. You turn a portion of your garage into a cold room and now your car has to be parked out in the weather.

2. You realize that after your last purchase, you have more fermentation space than storage so you buy another dozen Corney Kegs.

3. You spend countless hours trying to find a way to open your own brewery without impacting your job, or your income.

4. You have drawn out your home brewery plan (more than once) complete with a building disassociated from your house, fermentation temperature control and a 2Bbl brewhouse.

5. The massive amounts of stainless steel in your home brewery causes the neighbor a block away to complain that the magnetic signature interferes with his satellite TV reception.

BlueZooBrewing said:
When you set up a live webcam to monitor your buckets and carboys from ANYWHERE.

+1 icam for the iPhone is awesome. I had a cider going and watched it pop the airlock out, I then promptly called my wife and told her how to sanitize everything and put it back on.

Tnoodle said:
+1 icam for the iPhone is awesome. I had a cider going and watched it pop the airlock out, I then promptly called my wife and told her how to sanitize everything and put it back on.

Bingo! Im glad Im not the only one...

You manage a coffee house by day, and have constructed a sparge arm to replace the conventional showerheads in one of your industrial coffee makers...cuz "we'll get better efficiency"

1) you keep adding carboys and kegs to up your storage space and pipeline.
2) you wake up in the middle of the night to jot a recipe down.
3) you are a techie, but eBay searches are now brewing related.

1) When your wife goes to hop in the shower and there is a Better Bottle already in there full of cleanser.

2) When the only birthday gift you give your friends anymore is 2 cases of their favorite style of your homebrew.

3) When you go to recycle cardboard boxes and find the top of the glass bottle recycling bin open, so you decide to grab all of the brown bottles out for future bottling.

When you go to get in the shower and think Damn this tub/shower would make an awesome mash tun. If I only had a way to insulate and cover. And ofcourse enough grain to put in it.

Danbreeze said:
2) When the only birthday gift you give your friends anymore is 2 cases of their favorite style of your homebrew.
Wow you're awfully generous...2 cases? My friends are lucky if they get a 6 pack(even for their bday), of course they get to drink plenty when they come to my house.

How about when you can hardly part with a 6 pack, and usually will end up only giving away a 4 pack. It's my beer dammit! :)

When you think of ways to recycle furniture & other household items into brewing equipment,stands,etc. I've been doing this the last couple of months. Hey,what's a poor guy to do?;):D:rockin:

You're careful about opening the garage door fearing the police or ATF might suspect something and pay you a visit.

You're careful about opening the garage door fearing the police or ATF might suspect something and pay you a visit.

When the police do come by, you invite them to come back later for a brewing lesson.

You know the names and reputations of dozens of HBS's in states that you never been to.

You have a frequent filler propane card (fill five and get one free), but only grill with charcoal.

Begin2Brew said:
When you go down into your basement looking for a little room to store your beer equipment and throw out half of your SWMBO's Christmas decorations, two coffee tables, a china hutch, three empty cardboard boxes, a stationary bike, a plastic water fountain, and old stand up light light fixture. Then look at the half empty basement and say to yourself "I think that might be enough room".

Haha I just threw a bunch of SWMBOs stuff out this weekend to make some brewing space!

If you wake up screaming "ADD MORE HOPS" then fall back into your IPA induced slumber... ;) (True story)

Stevo2569 said:
When you go to get in the shower and think Damn this tub/shower would make an awesome mash tun. If I only had a way to insulate and cover. And ofcourse enough grain to put in it.

I was just thinkig these same thoughts about my 24ft aboveground pool.hmmmm.....12000 gallons of wort...lol!

erikhild59 said:
I was just thinkig these same thoughts about my 24ft aboveground pool.hmmmm.....12000 gallons of wort...lol!

Get two more and we've got a brewery.

Your employees ask what is wrong with you, "it's 8:00, and you have not mentioned your beer yet"?

Smartasses!

When you pour a comericial beer you leave about a quarter inch of beer in the bottom of the bottle out of habit.
+1, I do it every time. I also immediately rinse out a bottle after I open it, even if I can't re-use it.

Every single room in your house has beer bottles in it - empty or full. (my laundry room looks like a recycling facility).

You get sad when you see an empty carboy laying around.

You proudly show off your fermenting carboys to friends, family, acquaintances, neighbors, the mail man, your dog - anyone that happens to be near your house.

If you are not at your house, you show people pictures of your fermenting carboy.

When you have an entire fridge full of beer ranging in styles, yet you still need to brew this weekend.

You go to the home brew shop for $5 worth of hops, and end up leaving with $40 worth of brewing equipment.

When you hear "mashed potatoes", your first thought is "I wonder what temperature they mashed at?"

When you buy a kegerator setup without having an extra fridge. (Or was that just me?)

When telling someone what kind of beer you have is a 10-minute conversation.

You get confused when people ask if you have ever fried turkey in your turkey fryer.

You offer to pour all of your friends beers for them. (They will screw up the head)

When you call your fully finished basement "the cellar".

And above all, at least for me...

When you are willing to make a 5 gallon batch of beer, and only drink a few bottles because you give the rest away. (But ask for the bottles back, of course).

You Brew in your 90F house (no AC) but have a working fridge in the basement for exact fermentation temps.

When it's time for brewing light summer beers,& you're working on ales for fall already.
When you're working on recipes the wife can brew after said dark beer goes into secondary so she'll have it in time to use as a bottling bucket.
When you've got recipe notes tacked up in stacks,& reading on here makes you think of another one to make note of.
When you keep finding yourself distracted while typing in here by the sound of the blow off.
When you've spent at least 5 weeks soaking recycled bottles,only to find that you need to process some more asap.
And all this in the space of a couple of days...:drunk:;)

This happened to me yesterday -

I have no central AC in my house, just a little window AC in my bedroom and another in the guest bedroom(where my beers are currently fermenting). It was a hot one yesterday, and the AC in the guest bedroom with my fermenting beer went out. I moved the working AC from my bedroom to the fermentation room to keep my temps steady. Meanwhile, I slept in the heat. So apparently I'm more concerned with my yeast being comfortable than myself being comfortable.

When you email this thread to your wife at work just to prove that you're not THAT obsessed.

....and in the same email inform her you're buying another chest freezer on craigslist.

When you go to drop your daughter off at school and notice the house you parked in front of is number 1020, then move down 5 houses to get to 1010

this is awesome, keep em comin.

here's another. you have entered 3 styles in the indiana brewer's cup, gonna bottle an amber ale tomorrow night, just to make it your fourth entry, and gonna deliver all of your beer for the competition on friday, i hope it's carbed up and decent by july 7th or 8th cause that's when they judge them.

You check the HBT forum for new threads more often than you check your email.

You pack "emergency homebrew" when you go on vacation or work trips in the event that you can't find good beer.

You water your wife's plants just so you can have an excuse to go stare at your hop bines.

You have a speech and a beer on hand at all times for guests, repairmen, and law enforcement officers that may inquire about your equipment.

"Sir, what kind of plants are these?"

"I swear they are hop plants for homebrewing, marijuana doesnt even grow on strings!"

"Ok, wait...you homebrew? Can i get in on that?"

When your girlfriend referrs to your addiction as "beerJesus" as mine does. I think she's jeoulous? When ever she sees me researching my next recipe or anything related she mutters.. BeerJesus. like im some kind of sinner! Damn! If Jesus was here today he would drink good beer cuz they probably didnt even have it,just grapes and wine.? If it were barley instead of grapes-people would have been drinking a river of beer, thanks to Jesus's miricles. Sheesh!
I would say anybody would be the star of the party if they turned a river into beer! Double Sheesh!

When you have a nest egg saving up for your next big brew purchase. AND ... if its touched, bad things will happen! ;)

Back