Sorachi Ace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
So, I cleaned out my freezer yesterday and I found a hidden surprise: 12 oz of Sorachi Ace hops that I had totally forgotten about. I used them last December (ie 14 months ago) in a Belgian strong. I wrapped them up tightly and in the freezer they have stayed since.

As they are not vacuum sealed, I'm curious as to their vitality at this point. At the same time, I don't have any desire to toss almost a opined of hops. I'm planning an IPA in the next few weeks that will utilize a bunch of the SA mixed with Fuggles, cascade, and magnum.

How should I adjust the SA levels based on their age? 60% strength? 50%? I'm just looking for anecdotal direction, not empirical facts. Thanks!

So, I cleaned out my freezer yesterday and I found a hidden surprise: 12 oz of Sorachi Ace hops that I had totally forgotten about. I used them last December (ie 14 months ago) in a Belgian strong. I wrapped them up tightly and in the freezer they have stayed since.

As they are not vacuum sealed, I'm curious as to their vitality at this point. At the same time, I don't have any desire to toss almost a opined of hops. I'm planning an IPA in the next few weeks that will utilize a bunch of the SA mixed with Fuggles, cascade, and magnum.

How should I adjust the SA levels based on their age? 60% strength? 50%? I'm just looking for anecdotal direction, not empirical facts. Thanks!

promash has a tool for this and I can run it through there for you. do you know the temp they were at? it makes a big difference. "FROZEN" is a wide range. :)

for reference, here are a few points on the curve:

30*F = 54% AA remaining
20*F = 62%
10*F = 69%
0*F = 75%

Walker said:
promash has a tool for this and I can run it through there for you. do you know the temp they were at? it makes a big difference. "FROZEN" is a wide range. :)

Thank you for the offer and the data points. I'm out of town at the moment, but for giggles I'd sy they were frozen at around 27* for most of the time.

Are those numbers you posted based on temperature AND time, or is it simply a function of temperature, regardless of timeframe?

Are those numbers you posted based on temperature AND time, or is it simply a function of temperature, regardless of timeframe?

The tool in promash has you select three things.

(1) the temp the hops were stored at
(2) how many months they have been stored
(3) how they are packaged

I also have some hops from the exact same timeframe, but were vacuum sealed in the same freezer. What does the software say about their strength?

Thanks so much for the help!

I might have given you bad number the first time. I wasn't sure if "wrapped tightly" would be considered "unsealed" or "sealed, but not vacuumed".

this is 14 months of storage:

unealed in red.
air tight container, but not vacuumed in black
vacuum sealed in blue.

30*F = 54% 63% 74%
20*F = 62% 69% 78%
10*F = 69% 76% 83%
0*F = 75% 80% 86%

Back