Steeped grains too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theschick

Reaction score
This was to be my last extract batch before I go all grain, and I apparently did not pay attention to what I was doing. Typically I steep the specialty grains in the cold water, until it reaches 170 degrees, then I remove. Well, for whatever reason I steeped them at 170 for 30 minutes.

I'm guessing I extracted the sugars I could during the process, but once it hit 170, that process was stopped (like a mash-out?). Is it likely I extracted some bittering tastes from the extended hot water bath?

No it's different than mashing. Raising your mash temps to 170 will stop the sugar conversion.

Steeping grains are grains where the sugars are already converted. 170 degrees is the maximum temp that you should steep specialty grains, so you should be ok. The only risk you ran was extracting tannins from the grain hulls, which can give your beer off flavors.

Most likely your beer is fine.

NOT TO WORRY!.

As long as you did not steep them until the were disintegrating, tannins should not be an issue.

Sounds good to me, either way I will be drinking it! I appreciate the help guys, I wasn't so much as worried, as trying to understand what/why my mistake could potentially cause.

Back