MAY Day May Day HElp on fermenting monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treshombres

Reaction score
We need advice.

We have a Arrogant Double bastard in the primary and its going nuts. It was brewed on saturday.The foam is so thick ( must be form the 13# of malt added) that it keeps clogging up the bleed off tube. I have replaced it 3 times, but once the foam gets into the tube it makes the bucket over pressureize. I take the hose out of the stopper and it vents like a tire being punctured. I took the lid off and covered the top of the fermenter with foil, then slipped the lid back down partially to somewhat seal it, its bleeeding off around that seal right now. I know this is a huge risk to have the lid not locked down, but this thing is looking like it would blow. Any reccomendations?

keep doing what your doing till fermentation calms down. with that much CO2 blasting out nothing can get back in. just keep an eye on it.

We need advice.

We have a Arrogant Double bastard in the primary and its going nuts. It was brewed on saturday.The foam is so thick ( must be form the 13# of malt added) that it keeps clogging up the bleed off tube. I have replaced it 3 times, but once the foam gets into the tube it makes the bucket over pressureize. I take the hose out of the stopper and it vents like a tire being punctured. I took the lid off and covered the top of the fermenter with foil, then slipped the lid back down partially to somewhat seal it, its bleeeding off around that seal right now. I know this is a huge risk to have the lid not locked down, but this thing is looking like it would blow. Any reccomendations?

You SHOULD be Ok with the foil. As long as the entrance is covered so no dust, nasties, or whatever can fall down in the container you should be fine. I'm hoping you sanitized the foil before placing on container?

There is no risk with the lid not being sealed. See all the explosiveness? That is a giant layer of CO2 pushing OUTWARD from your beer, nothing coming in. "Bacteria are not ninjas" is one of my favorite lines from HBT.

Thanks for all the advice.

I put the lid back on and added a drain hose thats only 1 foot long, have the bottle for the airlock, sitting ontop the bucket now, looks like with 1 foot of hose it can push the foam through. Hope it continues too, man what a Bastard!!

Here it is in a nutshell

1.5 # Crystal 120L Malt
10.5# Amber Extract
3# Amber DME

Steep grains at 155 for 25 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water

Add extract after returning to boil

60 minute boil

Hop Schedule
3.5 oz Chinook at 60 minutes
3/4 oz Chinook at 15 minutes
3/4 oz Chinook at 5 minutes

We used White Labs - California Ale V 051 yeast ( 2 test tubes of it )

OG should be 1.103 !!!
Final specific gravity should be around 1.026

Its a monster to boil with all the sugar. We stirred it constantly until we had a rolling boil

Back