Dry hopping in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I brewed an IPA but haven't had time to rack to a secondary in order to dry hop. I plan on dry hopping in a cheesecloth bag.

I want to brew a bock for our local Bockfest competition, but am limited to my carboy with the IPA (my other has a friend's beer waiting to be bottled). I had planned on kegging the IPA any way, so can I just throw my cheesecloth of hops (sanitized, of course) straight into my keg? Or would you just recommend forgetting the bock and dry hop for 2 weeks in the carboy?

When I've got a hoppy beer (yes, I do make them) in the keg, I dry hop it there. Often, I re-hop it as the aroma fades.

I only dry hop in my keg now. I use a fine mesh bag and leave it in there until the keg is kicked. You might find that the hop flavor might be a little harsh or grassy for the first few days but then it mellows out and taste great.

I just dry hopped in the keg for the first time. It was a batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale and it came out great. I used stainless spice balls filled with whole leaf Cascade and I just tossed them in, didn't attach them to the dip tube or anything. I discovered that I could only fit about .25oz per ball though so I only got .5oz in the keg between two balls. I left them in the keg for 2 weeks and then bottled the whole thing for a party last weekend. The spice balls stayed closed and I had less then half a pint before the beer ran clear on the first pull. I'm going to do it again with the IIPA I have going now, but I'll be using pellets.

Back