Aging Beer Already In Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLDanimal

Reaction score
I have a batch of American Brown Ale that I kegged after 10 days. Fermentation had already finished as was determined by gravity readings. I feel the beer would benefit from some aging. It has been in the keg about two weeks. Will the beer continue to age in the kegerator? Or can I pull it out and bring it back up to room temp to speed/facilitate aging? Will this cause spoilage?

I have the same questions about aging in kegs. do you just leave it in the corny for a couple weeks? should the o2 be bled of with c02? do I start carbing right away? room temp or cooled?

A couple of generic points here.

Conditioning processes faster at room temp compared to a kegerator temp

you always want to bleed off any o2 that is left in the keg, fill the keg with co2, use the bleed valve to release, repeat several times to purge your keg but always have enough pressure when stored to keep it sealed.

So it just depends how much conditioning your brown ale needs, if it has been cold since day 10 and is not a 3.5% beer you may want to pull it out to make the process quicker.

Maby I shoud keep my wife in the fridge so she dosent age. I can pull her out when I am an old man, and she will only be 30. Sweet

Maby I shoud keep my wife in the fridge so she dosent age. I can pull her out when I am an old man, and she will only be 30. Sweet

The only problem I see with this is that she will be taking up all the room in your beer fridge.

I agree with the above comments. Age it at room temp with a CO2 purged and sealed corny.

The only problem I see with this is that she will be taking up all the room in your beer fridge.

I agree with the above comments. Age it at room temp with a CO2 purged and sealed corny.

So are you hitting it with like 30lbs for just a couple of minutes just to seal the keg, then purging?

So are you hitting it with like 30lbs for just a couple of minutes just to seal the keg, then purging?

You turn on the gas with the regulator set at 30psi. The regulator will dispense CO2 and fill the headspace of the keg until it reaches 30psi which you'll hear. It's not like carbonating the beer which takes time or mechanical shaking to dissolve into the beer.

Long story short it takes less than 10 seconds to fill the headpspace with 30psi. Then you pull the relief valve a few times to purge any O2 out and you're done once the regulator stops after purging.

Back