Best 4912 Tutorial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am doing this after Christmas, and I wanted to make a post for the best Sanyo 4912 tutorial out there in your opinion. Maybe this could become a sticky?

That looks sweet Orpheus, I'm still trying to decide whether or not to have a tower or have the taps come out the door. This all depends on whether or not I have a bar in the new addition, or turn a closet into my kegerator/liquor cabinet. With the closet idea I can lock people/kids out of the liquor closet.

Cool pics.

Hey Spykd,

Haven't seen you around in a while, how you doing?

Question for you. When you cut the wood to fit into the diamond and drill the pilot hole in the top of the cover and in the wood and then put it together, you simply place the top back on and drill the hole through? You don't need to secure the wood with anything so it doesn't spin around or anything?

Nope, you should cut the wood so it fits really snug in the diamond and the plastic fins will hold it in place. Thats what I did. Another tip, instead of drilling straight into the wood, I got some of those threaded grommet type things. I drilled through where the screw holes would be and then hammered some of those in. I think it helps make it more secure. Another tip, if you want, I saw someone take out the fins to do the larger daimond, which I also did. It was a pain in the butt, but the idea is that it would add yet more stability to the tower.

I just got the 4912M at Best Buy. I've read more about them that I think about brewing itself. Look here:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=36974

But there is one thing that I got to say. Sure you can drill the top of tem for a tap, but when I cranked mine up, I swear the very center top of it was warm, as in it felt like a cooling line was in there. I didn't drill it, as I'm just using cobra taps, but I'd surely be nervous if I was too drill. Just check and re-check.

Orpheus said:
Hey Spykd,

Haven't seen you around in a while, how you doing?

Question for you. When you cut the wood to fit into the diamond and drill the pilot hole in the top of the cover and in the wood and then put it together, you simply place the top back on and drill the hole through? You don't need to secure the wood with anything so it doesn't spin around or anything?

Been a bad year at the Ole Spyk'd household. First Katrina, now my wife's dad dies and my mother in law moves into our near complete home for an indeterminable amount of time...

I'm not doing very well and my beer production is backed up.

However, on a lighter note...

It has been mentioned to cut the wood so the fit is really snug, but also take the extra 60 seconds and screw the top back on before drilling...it just maaaay want to creap a touch (don't ask me how I know this):drunk:

Also, also, try to ease up the pressure when you feel you're about to break through. The hole cutter cuts faster through foam than it does through metal. It all ended well though!

Good luck and have fun!
:mug:

Back