Priming with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
I am going to be using DME to prime my beer for the first time. I normally use corn sugar but I forgot to pick it up and I've got a bunch of DME lying around. Normally when I use corn sugar I heat up a cup of water and then simply let the sugar dissolve in the hot water. When using DME do I need to boil it for 10 minutes or so in order to release the sugars or can I use the same method as when I use corn sugar? Thanks folks.

I've never done it, but yes, I believe you have to cook it just like you'd brew a wort. That is, getting past the hot break, etc.

Also, don't forget that you have to use more DME than you would with corn sugar. And that it also takes twice as long to carb.

Personally, I would just go back and get the corn sugar, even if that means you can't bottle for a couple days, simply because of the 2-3 weeks of extra time the DME takes to carb.

Back