Lager yeast at ale temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
What will happen? My buddy was planning do to a boston lager clone and the Lhbs told him that fermenting at room temp will still taste the same. I thought this would cause off flavors.

Thoughts???

homebrewer_99 said:
Since lagers are usually fermented at lower temps than ales the result should be a fruitier flavored beer.

Would it be something that still tasted good? If it just adds a fruity flavor would it be a good idea to use lager yeast in a fruit beer and ferment at warmer temps?

I believe that this is the method of creating a steam beer, like Anchor Steam, from SanFrancisco, CA. Lager yeast fermenting at ale temperatures.

John

Wyeast 2112 California Lager Yeast is good for 65F and frequently used in Common (can't say Steam(R) ) Ales. 2565 Kölsch Yeast is an ale yeast used for pseudo-lagers and is good to 70F.

What yeast was being recommended?

Many commercial cream ales are made by using lager yeasts at ale temps.

I do it all the time, makes nice beer.

I see this question a lot, but never a question going the other way. What if one were to brew an ale recipe (let's say an IPA) and use a lager yeast to ferment it? I like to brew ales and normally my basement is just the right 62-66 degrees, however in the dead of winter it gets down to 56-58.

This is a little high for lager yeast, but should work, whereas ale yeast probably will not work to this low of a temp... What would be the result? Would any 'off-flavors' one might expect be covered up if a 60+IBU IPA was the recipe?

Thoughts, concerns? I do not plan on doin this (I am brewing an IPA with the flying dog yeast tomorrow and fermenting it upstairs), however seeing many can I brew a lager with ale yeast question or can I brew a lager with not-so-lager temps, I thought I'd see what people thought of the opposite (brewing an ale with lager yeast a little above its range or brewing an ale with lager yeast IN its temp range)...

Back