Boom-Boom Hefeweisen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
I have a desire to make some beer for SWMBO so I get some acceptance with the hobby. Got Cheesefood's Caramel Cream/Boom-Boom Ale in the works.

I am thinkin "Boom-Boom" has more than one meaning now... :rockin: :rockin: Time to get SWMBO drunk off some homebrew and ehh....TMI. :ban:

Anyways, Weisen's are easy on the girls with very proper ABV's for above TMI so here is what I came up with and I need some constructive criticism on this recipe.

5gal batch (extract + grain steep)
Starting Gravity: 1.061 :drunk:
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.5%
SRM: 5.9

1/2# Belgian Aromatic Malt
1/2# Flaked Wheat
---steep for 30min at ~150deg

6# LME Wheat
2# Honey (added at 30min)

Hop Schedule:
1oz Hallertau at 50min remaining (bitter)
1/2oz Saaz at 15min remaining (flavor)
1oz Saaz at flameout for 3min (aroma)
IBU's: 10

Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen at 68deg ferment.

3#1oz Oregon Apricot Puree into secondary

3/4-cup corn sugar for bottling

True...This one should be finished up and bottle-conditioned around mid-september. Should complement my O'fest ale nicely.

I am actually looking to do some brewing this weekend and this looks like a winner. However, I am interested in the fruit follow-up, as the brewette has requested some fruit beer. I despised the "Peach Wheat" that I made because it tasted too much like fake peaches, because I used an extract.

I too need some assistance with the fruit addition. Slice up 4lbs of apricot and throw it in the secondary after boiling it in water? Any ideas?

Once you get ready to rack to the secondary split it into 2 carboys. One for plain and one for fruit.

Before adding any fruit to the secondary make sure the brew is good. If it's not good then there's no reason to waste good fruit.:D

Generally, what do you recommend in terms of preparing the fruit? and how much?

I feel as though I am hijacking this threat with my newbie questions.

Not a thread-jack as I have the same question

So, relating to adding real/fresh fruit to secondary. How is the fruit cleaned? Does it matter? Does the ABV take care of it? Can you just do a rinse and chuck it in?

I'm brewing this as I type this.

Is the hop schedule a bit to much for a fruit-addition wheat? IBU's are 18-ish.

1/2oz Hallertau for bittering would drop it to an IBU of 10

EDIT: The Alpha Acid's of the hops I have adjusted the IBU'S down to 10-ish.

Ok, here is a photo of the finished product. Very tasty, though the extreme wheat and honey profile overshadow the apricot flavorings. Still, a WONDERFUL beer.

Here's a photo:
4563-_MG_4544_web.jpg

Exo said:
Ok, here is a photo of the finished product. Very tasty, though the extreme wheat and honey profile overshadow the apricot flavorings. Still, a WONDERFUL beer.

Here's a photo:
4563-_MG_4544_web.jpg

beautiful, glad the apricot puree worked out for you Exo...

have you been bottled for 3 weeks already? i thought your Boom Boom was slightly behind my Cherry Wheat...

great lookin beer regardless, now feed some to the SWMBO ;)

Hmm, it's been 8 days. Still "young" but most definitely drink-able. SWMBO has that glass in front of her right now.

I'mma have to re-name this to a Holiday Wheat or something. Doubt she will like it and the clove/spices are just fantastic. Nice heavy, mouthfeel.

well let us know what the SWMBO thinks... so far my SWMBO likes my Cherry Wheat better than anything else i have done...

Back