Scuze Me While I Ring my Bling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This past weekend was the local clubs’ Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition. This is the final qualifying event for the Eleventh Annual Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing.

Of nine entries, four of my beers placed. In a field of 365 entries, I’m happy with that.

8 - English Pale Ale
8B - Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Captain Hooked on Bitters - 1st Place

10 - American Ale
10A - American Pale Ale
Ugly Kettle Pale Ale – 2nd Place

11 - English Brown Ale
11A – Mild
Tender & Mild – 3rd Place

22 - Smoke Flavor and Wood Aged Beer
22B - Other Smoked Beer
Loon Lake Smoked Porter – 3rd Place

While I’m happy with all the results, I’m most proud of the 2nd place in APA’s. I know there were a whole boatload of APA’s entered (as there always are) and the guy who beat me for 1st ended up taking Best of Show. It’s also supremely satisfying that all of these recipes were my own.

Anyway. Sorry to sound like a proud Daddy. We all work hard to brew good beers, and it’s nice to get some affirmation now and again.

Note – My RIS-888 that took 4th place in Best of Show last Spring didn’t place at this competition…go figure…

WOOT!

applause.gif

:D

By the way Ed, your man Britt (Austin Zealots) took Best of Show with his APA (the one that beat me out).

Yeah, it's a re-brew of his entry from last year. He's pretty happy about it. I hope he does not have to wait as long to get his award this year. :D

Congrats man!

I'm switching to 10gal batches and kegs after x-mas, was planing on brewing up about 50gal of your recipes in the coming weeks, might have to add the bitter and ugly kettle to the list... just to see :) .

Ah yes...I see that (DF). Nicely done. I know they judge the Strong Ales on Friday night.

They always have a lot of BW entries so that's pretty darn good.

I'm excited to get my scores. I entered an IPA too that was really great, but I know that IPAs are a crapshoot in a competition because of numbers of entries as well.

Back