Is this normal?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izuel01

Reaction score
HI guys 6 days ago I followed the instructions on a coopers English bitter I measured the og and it appeared to be 1.035 which the kit said should be 1.045 I may of read it wrong as there was froth it looked like this on day 2

image-1959695842.jpg

Now being the 6th day I decided to measure the gravity an it said it was 1.030 which I don't think is very good after 6 days and this is what it looks like now.

image-4270341587.jpg

I don't know if this is normal and I don't know if my gravity readings are correct and I read it wrong at the beginning? I'm just after some advise really thank you :)

I'm wondering if you're reading the hydrometer scale wrong? Ferments can be ugly looking,so that's likely fine.
The long lines on the scale are marked 10,20,30,40,etc Below the "1.000" line. The small lines in between the numbered ones are 2,4,6,8. Try it again & make sure you're reading it correctly.

Also you may need to do correction for temperature. shouldn't be too far off if it's around 70. If it smells ok and they gravity is dropping I'd just let it ride until fermentation stops. It will probably turn out great.Even if it is infected (it's probably not) it's not like you can stop it. Just wait it out.

Right now it is reading 1.030 or possibly 1.029 either way after 6 days I think it should be better? think here's the best pic I could get

image-1848675918.jpg

image-2973875417.jpg

The temperature has been up and down as I don't have a heater between 58f and 68f will this effect it or will it just take longer?

Can you give us an Detailed outline of the process you followed from Beginning to End of your brew day?

It's hard to rell for sure with the foam at the meniscus,but it looks more like 1.038 or so to me. What temp did you pitch at? What was the yeast & how many grams was the packet? Did you pitch dry or re-hydrate?

Yeh from start to finish here we go sanitised everything put can of malt extract in boiling water to eat up boiled 1.5 gallon water in separate pan poured malt extract in ferment bucket then pour the 1.5g in mix it up then added 500g of light malt extract and 500g of brewing sugar stirred well topped upto 5 gallon mark with cold water stirred done reason which I got 1.035 Ish but might of read it Erin then sprinkled yeast and dabbed down put lid on Fermentor then it done this after about 48 hours

image-929395130.jpg

And from the moment I put lid on Ita been between 58f and 68 f varying a lot and then after 6 days from start of process it looks like this

image-847660040.jpg

And has a reading of what appears to be 1.030

image-3523961369.jpg

image-2720462114.jpg

And that's as far as I am there doesnt appear to be any nasty smells and I just tasted it and it doesn't taste nice but I don't think it's supposed to yet

It was just the yeast packet that came with the coppers English bitter pack and I didn't measure temp when I pitched :s hope it's not ruined and yeh hopefully it's still fermenting :) fingers crossed

Unless your top off water was pretty cold,you may've pitched at a bit too high a temp. That's another reason I stopped using cooper's directions to mix in the FV. I do it differently nowadays. Particularly chilling in the BK in a mostly ice bath to get down to 70F or a bit less. The cooper's ale yeast seems to work best between 64-68F. Large temp swings can cause the yeast to shock & settle out.
You have to try & lessen the temp swings somehow. A place with a more stable ambient temp will go a long way toward more stable brew temps.
And you read the hydrometer scale straight through the meniscus,or where the fluid curves up against the side of the hydrometer.

So let me get this right:

You put the whole can of extract still in the can into boiling water?

In a separate pot you boiled water.

Added both to the bucket and put all of the fermentables in there.

Topped off with Cold water, stirred a little bit and pitched the Yeast.

Ok sounds good I might look into gettin a temp controller so do you think my beer will be ruined or should I just leave it doing the temp swings and see what happens after another week?

Arch1tect yes that's about top and bottem of it that's what it said to do on the instructions grr stupid beer kit this is my second I dumped my first before I found this site and the last 1 was un-drinkable aswell :(

Some brew kit instructions will have you pitch the small amount of yeast at a higher temp to get it going,then drop it down to the correct range. In your case,the cooper's yeast packet in the can's false lid is 7g. The cooper's instructions are genenric to the series the can comes from.
I pitch the cooper's yeast at 64-70F. 68F is a good temp to maintain for the ale yeast's usual flavor profile,if desired.

Ok so would your advice be try and get it 64-68f and try keep it like that see how it turns out? Or is it too late to fix? Or will it maybe just sort itself?

That's the temp range it should've been in. It's a little late now,being past initial fermentation. But it will help it finsh better to a degree if you get a more stable temperature.

Ok I will try Nd get it to the correct temp and hopefully it won't be a rubbish batch and another waste to go down the drain

You also need to quite playing around with it opening... Closing.. testing.....

Something must be off if this is your third batch and they are all undrinkable.... Do you have a brew buddy that can help you through a batch to see what you may be doing wrong? Sometimes a fresh eye can catch something you may be overlooking..

Good luck... Don't give up cheers!

Have you tested you hydrometer? To test your hydrometer put your hydrometer in its vial then fill it with cold tap water. It should read close to 1.00 if the tap water is about 60 degrees f.

Yeh I have tested it an it's fine I think my temps have been wrong so it will just work slower won't it? Hopefully will still work just slower than normal

Have you read any of the threads on brewing or picked up book? No offense but out of all the questions you've asked it seems to me that you don't want to actually understand the process you just want to do it.

There are a ton of great threads and processes you can follow, I know they've been suggested to you before but it seems to me that you haven't read or understood them. I'm not sure what else there is....

I am reading threads and books and no I don't completely understand them as I am new to this ad don't understand some of the brewing language used

Back