Black Patent Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS sells it's black patent under the name 'black malt'. I think they actualyl are different beats, but they are so similar that it doesn't really matter which you use.

-walker

Just read an article in Brew Your Own Magazine. Terry Foster writes "A partial solution to this difficulty, came in 1817 when Daniel Wheeler patented a roasting process to produce black malt (still sometimes known as black patent malt today)." Sounds like black patent malt and the Simpson's Black malt are most likely the same thing. The BYO article where I saw this was "when stout was stout".

Thank you,

I know they sound similar, but it could mean the difference between ordering lactose and lactic acid, which we know are completely different ingredients. I wanted to be sure they were the same thing before I put down any money.

Looks like there's an oatmeal stout in my near future.

If it isn't the exact same thing, it's really close.

Simpsons Black Malt. 500-600° L. Made by roasting white malt at a higher temperature than that used to produce Chocolate Malts. Gives a sharp flavor and black color. Used in sweet stout and many dark beers. This malt adds a lot of color and should be used in moderation.

American Black Patent Malt 500 lovibond, Briess Malting
A highly roasted malt, it is the predominant adjunct grain used in making Porters. It aids in achieving deep color and improves head retention. In small amounts, it adds a smoky/toasted character. When used in larger quantities it will impart a burnt, charcoal character.

Back