Ugh, slow start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I've made about 10 batches (which still makes me a noob in my opinion.) Most of my batches have visibly started fermenting within the first 12 hours, which makes me very happy. My most recent batch (a chocolate stout) was very slow to start, didn't see any krausen for about 48 hours, and even then it's much less vigorous than I would like. This isn't the first batch that I've had that was a bit slow to start, and the other one ended up fermenting fine, it just makes me slightly nervous.

I know, I know. RDWHAHB

RDWHAHB. It's fine. Some recipes will ferment faster than others and yeast, temp, etcl all play a part in the process. I've had fermentation take a couple of days before. Scary, but not unusual for some beers.

Sending you a virtual and reassuring pat on the back - as you said, it will be fine! I find patience to be the hardest part of brewing! For me, my impatience really comes out after bottling - I'm almost driven to pop a bottle just to check it out, even when I know that its not going to be anywhere near to ready - sheesh.

Currently, I'm semi-patiently waiting for an IPA we bottled on Saturday. :eek:

Jim

Haha. The first time I used washed yeast I was waiting 48 hours for it to to kick in. That was a bloody long 48 hours. Even when you KNOW you are supposed to relax it ain't easy. :)

Not only what all above have said, but it is winter amigo. If you chill your wort a little too low, it will take a bit for the yeast to come back into that fermentation range. Maybe you didn't shake it enough...Don't worry. In the end you will attain that goal of beer. Then you will drink it. Then you will be asking yourself why the next one is taking so long to start, because your supply is down to its last case and Dammit Man, you will not be caught dead at the liquor store buying beer for your party that is happening the day after you plan on bottling your beer! But you won't post on here with the same question because you already asked it, had the beer turn out and drank the stuff.

Back