Aged Cider - Flavor over age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
How much does the flavor change once aged ?

My recipe was only juice, brown sugar, and ale yeast. Should I expect it to taste different after aging ?

I tried it after a week and it tasted like a Granny Smith sour apple. Not bad, but I want it better. Is age the key ? Or should I add wine conditioner and apple extract flavoring and drink it now ?

The apple flavor kind of disappears for awhile. I have only made 1 batch that was aged (#2 in carboy now). At 3 months the apple flavor started to come back. At 6 months it was crysal clear with no detectable yeast. Apple flavor got more refined up to the 11 month mark (where I'm at now). Unfortunately I only have a six pack left so there will be limited data from here on out :)

Batch #2 used a few cans of apple concentrate to boost the gravity and apple flavor. Also used brown sugar which may add a little flavor. Can't wait to try it, and I will bottle in a few weeks (@ 3 month mark).

Not sure with ale yeast. I used champagne yeast, and based on what I've read, cider made with champagne yeast just keeps getting better and better with age. According to the bottle-pasteurizing mod on this forum, the sweeter, carb'd ciders don't age very well.

I am really trying to "up" the flavor a little bit and want to try a few different things. As of now I have 2 gallons in carboys going secondary just waiting to be done. Any advise on what to do to make a more complex flavor from my simple recipe ? I am thinking of using the apple beer/wine flavoring and wine conditioner.

Back