Gardena rtype hose fittings ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Is there any good reason why I should not use Gardena type quick connect hose fittings with silicone hose on my new HERMS system ?

gardena-soaker-hose-connection-set--p--gar-01989-20_0.jpg

I use them to connect all my 4 hoses to the platechiller after cooking.
Word is, these fittings aren't foodgrade safe.
Don't know about availability, but over here I can buy the same (different brand but compatbile) made from messing.

Any idea about what constitutes food safe ????

Would these fittings promote the growth of bacteria and how would they stand up to hot water ?

If you keep them sanitized it has nothing to do with bacteria. It is more the 'problem' that there cold be stuff (plasticizers?) in the plastics that dissolves uder warmer temps.
Plastics that are foodgrade don't have that.

But again, I use it on my cooler so my hot and cold wort goes through these connectors :)

around here those things arent cheap (10-15 per set).. camlocks can be had for quite a bit less

Around here in South Africa they work out about $3.57 for the male and female set.

Strange they are more expensive in the US ? Normally we're the ones getting ripped off blind.

So I take it from the feedback so far that there is no big glaring reason not to use them other than they're not "food grade" ?

I highly doubt the materials they were made out of were designed to be food safe, let alone withstand 200+ degF.

but, if you must.. boil them in water for a few minutes

cool the water

taste..

any plastic'y tastes? even if there isnt, you still may be leeching toxic chemicals out of the plastic

Back