Quad, 2nd Fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandPooBaa

Reaction score
Afternoon All

I'm brewing my first quad an all seemed to be going well until I pitched my 2nd batch of yeast (this was after it had been in FV1, then racked to FV2, then sat for 3 weeks). I've used a champagne yeast as my recipe suggested along with some yeast nutrient and it is sat at room temp. however it doesn't seem to be doing a great deal now. I guess I was expecting another, obvious burst of activity as you get in the first fermentation but it is basically just sitting there. My question is, have I done something wrong or is the 2nd ferment a more sedate affair?

Cheers

I think the champagne yeast is for bottling. It will not ferment complex sugars, and the primary yeast will have consumed all the simple sugars.

Also note; Champagne yeast is a killer yeast, so now that it has been added, it will be difficult to get an ale yeast to start up again.

I think you are done.

I think the champagne yeast is for bottling. It will not ferment complex sugars, and the primary yeast will have consumed all the simple sugars.

Also note; Champagne yeast is a killer yeast, so now that it has been added, it will be difficult to get an ale yeast to start up again.

I think you are done.

Cool, thanks guys. The recipe was quite specific about putting the champagne yeast in FV2 and letting it stand for two weeks. I thought this a little odd too but decided to follow the instructions precisely.

Back