Extract Brewer? Make Bagels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewhaha

Reaction score
Recently noticed a recipe from a cookbook for bagels that calls for one Tablespoon of "barley malt syrup" and mentioned that it's a hard ingredient to find. Not fer folks like us!

So before I dumped all my extract in the brew kettle this weekend, I saved the extra tablespoon. (It occurred to me afterwards that I could simply be slightly less vigilant about getting every last drop out and then scrape the tablespoon out after brewing, but whatever.)

Sooo...if you've ever wanted to try homemade bagels, give it a shot. Some recipes call for honey or molasses to use in place of the malt extract, so try it out next time you brew! They came out crispy and delicious. Yay!

Now that I'm a bagel-making expert ;) I'll be fielding questions on the topic from anyone who's interested. Cheers!

Here's the recipe from somebody's blog with nice pictures and stuff in case you want to try it out. The only difference in my recipe was I added vital wheat gluten to boost the gluten content of my AP flour since the recipe calls for high-gluten flour.

Also don't try to mix the dough by hand unless you work out or something. I'd recommend a mixer with a dough hook or I used my food processor.

i've got this book about tigger that i read to my 2 year old daughter. it says that tigger's favorite food is extract of malt. so i got out some and gave my daughter a spoonful. now she asks for extract of malt all the time. it is pretty cute to hear a 2 year old ask for that.

progmac said:
i've got this book about tigger that i read to my 2 year old daughter. it says that tigger's favorite food is extract of malt. so i got out some and gave my daughter a spoonful. now she asks for extract of malt all the time. it is pretty cute to hear a 2 year old ask for that.

This made me smile. :)

Latest posts

Back