Looking for ideas for experimental batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently do 5 litre batches normally, which are fairly experimental anyway, but I also have some 2 litre bottles that are just asking to have something brewed in them. I have so far got a test batch of capsicumel in one of them and am looking for inspiration for the others. I'm leaning towards skeeter pee, as it seems popular, but if anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them!

I've had this idea for a while, but am too afraid to try it.... Order a WHOLE bunch of ghost chili's from the internet, then boil them for a good long time in water, extracting the flavour. Then put the water along with the ghost chili's in the fermenter (no additional non-ghost chili water). When you rack, rack onto more ghost chili's. I'm thinking high alcohol content. Probably something along the lines of "Insomniac's Ghost Chili Mead Shooters, 20% ABV" If your thinking actually sane ideas, a raspberry cyser may be nice. To my knowledge no one on this site has ever made on of those... and also, a really good hydromel... idk if anyone else noticed but there is no hydromel recipes on the mead recipes section.

I've had this idea for a while, but am too afraid to try it.... Order a WHOLE bunch of ghost chili's from the internet, then boil them for a good long time in water, extracting the flavour. Then put the water along with the ghost chili's in the fermenter (no additional non-ghost chili water). When you rack, rack onto more ghost chili's. I'm thinking high alcohol content. Probably something along the lines of "Insomniac's Ghost Chili Mead Shooters, 20% ABV" If your thinking actually sane ideas, a raspberry cyser may be nice. To my knowledge no one on this site has ever made on of those... and also, a really good hydromel... idk if anyone else noticed but there is no hydromel recipes on the mead recipes section.

YOU MAD MAN!!!!! :) I cook with ghost chilies and in the extract I have made only a few drops are needed to bring most to their knees. I can't imagin combining let's say a pound of them with 20% abv mead. You might just kill someone with that lol. I like the idea of experimenting with the celestial seasonings herbal teas. I plan on doing a few different ones in the future.

I like the idea of experimenting with the celestial seasonings herbal teas. I plan on doing a few different ones in the future.

Sort of off topic but... my first mead was JAOM but when I didn't age it at all and didn't like the flavour of it (because I neglected to age it) I said screw it and chucked in a ton of cinnamon and a few earl gray tea bags. It was just undrinkable after that. I was seriously contemplating chucking it. Then, to my surprise I return to my dads house and he's freezer distilled it from 4 litres to half a litre and around 30% abv. So yeah then it was nasty really high alcohol mead. lol, and that's my story of my first mead. Sort of relevant since i chucked earl gray tea bags in there, but all I could taste was harsh harsh cinnamon. lol.

That's a waste of good chilli.

The most basic and for home use, the easiest way of extracting from chilli, it so just put them through a food processor to finely chop, then just put the pulp/chopped chilli into a jar and top it up with vodka and leave it for a while i.e. a couple of months.

The hot bit in chilli i.e. capsaicin, is a fatty alkaloid, which is soluble in alcohol, so it will just dissolve down, along with a bit of flavour juice and colour from the fruits. You can then just strain the liquid off (I also prefer to strain through a pressing cloth of some sort and then press the pulp). Bingo, nuclear grade chilli vodka. If you then want to concentrate it, you just put it in a pan and simmer it to reduce it down. With a 1000mls of liquid reduced just to remove the alchol from the vodka, you'd end up with IRO 600mls of concentrate. If you used everclear for the extraction, the careful simmering could be used to reduce down the liquid by like 90% or so quite easily. Then you can just add the concentrate to whatever you want.

Sorry, off topic a bit but I've done some extraction like this very successfully. Damn it was hot tasting!

Thanks for the responces! I actually have my own Naga plant, so capsicumel number two may well use them, though the first one is using scotch bonnets. (also home grown)

I have already decided to do the "leap year mead" which is looking to be a 1 gal batch of Chocolate Bochet, which covers that suggestion nicely, and for now covers the chocolate route as well!

Hmmm, theres got to be something odd that would be worth a go!

Another suggestion, what about an acerglyn braggot (bochet??)? Like maple syrup, honey, and malt extract. What would the ratios look like on that?

Back