Very, very stupid question: braided hose for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
Did I say my question was stupid ? I'm looking to build a mash tun with an old cooler I have lying around, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing for the braided hose thingy that serves as a screen.

Is that it ?

Yes, that's it. Your question is not stupid. Not everyone is expected to be familiar with plumbing equipment & fittings or anything else for that matter.

Yeah, I know there are cheaper options, I was just asking if I was looking for the right stuff.

You found the right stuff. IMO, you want the large diameter version designed for water heaters. IIRC, the inside diameter is close to 1". Much more surface area than the much smaller, but similar hoses designed for bathroom faucets, kitchen faucets and toilets.

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid questioners.

I purchased a SS 48" water supply line designed for dishwashers for $10. That was the one I used.

If you happen to know a plumber, they probably throw those things out all the time and you can pick them up for nothing, or a beer or two.

Back