To much Carb any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones99839

Reaction score
So I was drinking some of the beer from my first batch the other night. See my problem is that the beer was way over carbonated; it was almost like drinking beer soda. I used a brewer’s best American Bock kit and followed the directions for priming but it just doesn’t seem right to me, any help with what may be the problem would be nice as I have an Irish Red Ale that will be bottled in 2 weeks and would like to not have Irish red soda, Thanks guys
:tank:

I have a batch that is over carbed. Pursuant to a recomendation on this site I took my church key and gently lifted each cap and vented the co2 in the head space. If you are careful the cap will reseal. When I got to the last bottle I was able to do them all again, just that quick. The down side is this just released the co2 in head space, more co2 will come out of solution to fill the space again. I popped two in the frige, I'll check them tonight. If they are still over carbed I'll do it all over again until its right.

The key of course to not to over prime. Which is of course what I did. If you are batch priming check to see that you have 5 gallons of beer to prime before you add all the priming sugar.

Disclaimer: I am an UberNoob. Review more experienced replys before you do someting to ruin your batch and blame it on me. Good luck.

like the previous poster states, many people prime for a 5 gallon batch just assuming that the amount of brew going into the bottling bucket will be 5 gallons. remember that you are a losing a little brew everytime you transfer so maybe you only truly have 4.5 gallons. i also know a lot of people that had problems by measuring the priming sugar by volume. always try to measure by weight. how much priming sugar did you use and what was the warmest you let the brew get after active fermentation?

@thelastdandy, I just used what came in the kit, it was pre-mesured for 5 gal so it may have been a little toomuch if i lost some liquid from transfer but i wouldent think that it was that much i bottled up and was 11ounces short of 5 gals. And I wasent watching the temp of the brew but i kept it in a spare bathroom that stays about 70 to 75 during the season i brewed it.
@Revvy, since Jan 27 of this year. i only have like 6 or 7 22S left from a full batch and it seems that this stuff is just way over primed.
@fifteenten ill pass on the lifting of the caps it seems like a lot of work for only 6 or 7 bottles ill just drink them and try to make a better set on my next brew.

yeah it was pretty primed to start with, i have a huge stine that i drink from it can hold 2 22oz bottles and half of one would foam it to the top then disipate rapidly but still had the soda feal to it. is there a way to figure out how much priming sugar i should use if im not at axactly 5gals?

Back