Another skeeter pee question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Skeeter pee has become a HUGE hit around here, but I don't make enough wine to keep up with the requirements lol. I read the thread about starting with dry yeast but I have another question. Have any of you reused the slurry from a batch of skeeter pee, to make another batch? Or would it be too much due to the high acidity?

I would think the yeast would be acclimated and happy to do some more work for you. We've re-pitch our beer yeast and found the second and third batches came out even better. The only problem is it requires planning so you can lay down the next batch of brew when the yeast is ready to go to work.

How about if I add in my own question? The recipe calls for plain sugar. In my apple ciders I have found corn sugar had a smoother taste than plain sugar in the finished product. I understand there's a different flavor profile at work, but has anyone determined if there is a difference?

BTW, I am mixing up my first batch tonite. I have a blueberry/apple cyser coming out of my carboy and I hate to see it empty.

I will run Corn sugar next time around. I think it will make a big difference. Maybe smooth up the final product. Not sure though.

Corn sugar won't make any difference if you follow Lon's original recipe, which calls for inverting your table sugar. When you invert sucrose, it is broken down into the simpler sugars glucose (aka dextrose aka corn sugar) and fructose. It will save you 20 minutes or so, but won't change the end product.

What I did for a starter was puree 4 pounds of strawberries and put into 2, 1 gallon jugs. I made inverted sugar using 3 cups of sugar and a gallon of water. I then split the sugar water between the jugs of strawberry puree. Then I put a little energizer and nutrients and a pack and a half of EC-1118 in each and let them get going for about a week. I then pitched this onto what the recipe calls for. I did decrease the sugar that went into the bucket by 3 cups to keep the ABV the same as what the recipe calls for.

This worked like a charm and taste great! Just watch out for gyzers in the gallon jugs... The work fast and the puree will plug the neck and blow the airlock out and hit the celing... Don't ask how I know...

I would love to save that 20 minutes. Makes the batch easier and cheap.

edit:

I completely forgot that yeast doesn't ferment fructose all that well. Your skeeter pee will probably finish a little dryer with just corn sugar, but you won't notice it when you back sweeten.

I'm blaming this one on my ADHD

Skeeter pee has become a HUGE hit around here, but I don't make enough wine to keep up with the requirements lol. I read the thread about starting with dry yeast but I have another question. Have any of you reused the slurry from a batch of skeeter pee, to make another batch? Or would it be too much due to the high acidity?

This is from Lon's website www.skeeterpee.com;

•Using a slurry from an earlier batch of Skeeter Pee can pose problems. As yeast is pushed to its limits, the likelihood that it could develop sulfur-dioxide problems increases.

This is from Lon's website www.skeeterpee.com;

•Using a slurry from an earlier batch of Skeeter Pee can pose problems. As yeast is pushed to its limits, the likelihood that it could develop sulfur-dioxide problems increases.

thanks time traveler. THATS what I was looking for. I assumed that to be the case but was hoping lol.. looks like a LOT of welches grape juice wine and skeeter per around here lol.

What I'm trying on the advice of another forum member is making a 1 gallon welches batch in a complimentary flavor and pitching the entire gallon into the skeeter pee once the yeast have multiplied sufficiently.

Back