Igloo MLT conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InLimbo

Reaction score
I have an older rectangular Igloo "marine cooler" that I just pulled the drain spout off of. I measured it, and it's about 3/4" in diamater, if not slightly larger. I've looked through the DIY MLT threads, and a lot of people are using 1/2" fittings. Are the Rubbermaid coolers' drain spouts smaller? What gives? :drunk:

I don't want to have to make a million trips to Home Depot, so I'm trying to get this right on the first shot. What size nipple and ball valve will I need for a 3/4" diameter hole? Logic tells me I need to fill the hole with something that is 3/4" of an inch, but that's pretty good sized, isn't it? I know next to nothing about plumbing, but I am fairly handy. I'm just about to head out to HD, thanks for any help!

Bring the cooler with you, i'm sure the home depot guys would be psyched to help.

Keep in mind that on a 1/2" fitting that's the INTERNAL diameter. I don't know the exact thickness, but a pipe nipple is probably going to be something like 5/8-3/4" on the outside.

Man what an adventure. Long story short, it's a 1/2" ID nipple that "fits" and I use that term loosely because loosely is exactly how it fits (3/4" was obviously slightly too large). I mean its not terrible, but it's not as snug as I had wanted either. The good news is that the braided steel part was a breeze, but I need to go back for a couple more washers in order to snug everything up. I didn't bother with reducers or any of that nonsense. Brass is getting expensive, so everything is just 1/2" straight through. I saw some people saying they step down to 3/8" ID barbs, but honestly that would have been too small for the 20" braided steel toilet hose I got.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help everyone. Had I not taken my cooler with me, I would have had to make two trips! I might do a DIY, but there are a lot of good ones on here already. :mug:

Back