Help me identify that hop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfeller

Reaction score
I love big hoppy IPA's as much as the next guy but lately I have noticed a hop variety or combination of hops in some IPAs that I just do not care for.
They smell and taste like marigolds... yuk. I do enjoy the piney, citrus, grapefruit and floral notes of most of the usual hops.
What is that hop? I want to try to avoid it in my homebrew.
Some of you probably love it whatever it is, but to each his own.
It's just not my favorite flavor. Just can't stand that Marigold aroma and flavor.
It's kind of offensive to me.
Thanks for your help.
:mug:

Marigolds? Hmmm. I think centennial has a floral aftertaste, but I don't think of it as marigolds. It's still citrusy, but with a distinct floral taste too.

Which commercial beer can you think of has that taste to it?

I don't think it is centennial... that is more like a cascade...
I think it was Caldera IPA or maybe Ska Modus Hoperandi? I don't remember, but I have been tasting it in different IPAs lately.

Maybe Citra? I don't know what marigolds taste like, but I know Citra is very floral smelling.

_

I don't mind floral, I actually enjoy that. I love cascade, centennial, amarillo etc...

Marigolds are dank, pungent.... maybe acrid.. not sure if that is the right word.
If anyone has smelled marigolds, you know what I mean. They don't have a pleasant aroma and they are often used as insect repellants in gardens for that reason.

I've read where someone described Simcoe as having a cat urine like aroma...
I didn't think of cat urine... but marigolds... probably equally offensive to me.
I know a LOT of people actually like/love Simcoe... but I think this is probably the culprit.

I just got some simcoe in to use in my next few batches, and I thought they had a great smell...not pungent at all, but agreed to each his own.

Maybe it is citra....supposedly has a big floral note

Simcoe is more piney. I doubt it's simcoe. Some say they get cat urine out of it, but not nearly as much as chinook. Chinook is far more "catty".

The only floral hop I can think of that is common in American IPAs is the centennial I already mentioned. Willamette is "earthy" and a bit floral and grassy.

Alright so I did a little bit of research on the two beers mentioned.

Caldera IPA has simcoe, centennial and amarillo hops (This info is posted on their website).

Ska Modus Hoperandi has cascade, centennial, and columbus (According to an HBTer who claims to have spoken to the owners).

If both these beers have the same offensive smell/taste then I would have to say it would be centennial. I personally use centennial a lot and would never use marigold to describe it. It does have a slight floral note to it though.

Back