How do you calculate gravity (og/fg/sg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
So I forgot to take a beginning measurement because I was in a hurry. Also I have been reading a lot of gravities etc..... and one thing I can find is how the points for certain sugars, extracts, grains etc...... are discovered? Is their a chart I can get so I can have an easy refernce point and go from there until I can memorize them? example : I know that their are points for sugars and points for all the things you put into your beer etc...... but I can't seem to find (and maybe I overlooked it) how these "points" are decided. So the main question is this : I made a ginger ale that I have posted about on here in a different thread and I am trying to figure out what the OG should have been so i can have a reasonable guess at the alcohol content when I take the FG. The sugar I used was cane sugar (8lbs); and then 5 gallons of water 7 oz of ginger and 7 lemons and 3 limes.

Of the items you noted, only the sugar is fermentable. 1 lb of cane sugar has 45 gravity points, so 8 lbs = 360 points. You made 5 gallons, so divide by 5 = 72. Therefore your starting gravity will be around 1.072.

ok thanks, now can you tell me where I can find a chart or something that gives me the gravity point values of sugars/malts?

Dextrose is 36 points per lb. Cane sugar is 45 or 46. I use 45.

A good reference is Papazian, "The Home Brewers Companion".

Back