today's brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so I started the first batch of a carmel apple wheat this afternoon here's a few photos from the brew.

hot_break_getting_ready.JPG

it_s_on.JPG

fruit_in_the_beer.JPG

did you use carmel apples? ive always wondered about doing that keep me posted with some results.

no, the carmel comes from the crystal 60L that i used. the total ingridents are as follows

4.5 lbs wheat LME
1.25 lbs Crystal 60l
.5 lbs Cara Pils
4 Cinnamon stick added at last 15 of the boil
5 apples peeled diced and frozen. then added to the boiling wort for 5 minutes to pasturize
1oz fuggles hops 60 min
1oz saazs hops 10 min
whitelabs wheat IV yeast, made a starter about 30 hours before pitching

That sounds like a pretty tasty recipe. I could see making that a few months before thanksgiving. :rockin:

no, the carmel comes from the crystal 60L that i used. the total ingridents are as follows

4.5 lbs wheat LME
1.25 lbs Crystal 60l
.5 lbs Cara Pils
4 Cinnamon stick added at last 15 of the boil
5 apples peeled diced and frozen. then added to the boiling wort for 5 minutes to pasturize
1oz fuggles hops 60 min
1oz saazs hops 10 min
whitelabs wheat IV yeast, made a starter about 30 hours before pitching

WOW this looks tasty. would you mind clarifying a couple things about the recipe?

-I'd imagine you steep the grains for 30 minutes @ 150F.
-boil and add the 4.5lbs of LME
-add hops and cinnamon as suggested.

i'm a little confused about the apples. you add them to the boiling wort and reserve them for primary fermentation? did you use a secondary fermentation stage?

how about OG and FG target?

sorry for all the questions, this looks good and i want to give it a try :)

Well, my attempt at this failed due to an infection that made it extremely tart, I did add the apples to the wort in a mesh bag, and after the boil added them directly to the fermenter for primary. If i was to do it again i would problably add them at the secondary stage after I added Campden to them. I'm not sure how that would affect things if you bottle condition though. As far as OG and FG, the OG was 1055, and the FG was 1020. It was hard to tell if it that left to much residual sweetness due to how sour the beer tasted.

Back