Hops selection help for a summer beer (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

first_3exit

Reaction score
Im trying to refine a recipe I threw together (ive made several kits but this was my first shot at making my own) Heres what I threw together last time
6 lbs Pilsen Syrup
1 lb Global Kolsch Malt
1oz Cascade hops (+60 min)
1oz Saaz Hops (+15 min)
US-05 Yeast

I was going for something light in color (without using rice) but I guess this recipe was kinda a mutt lol Overall it was very drinkable but the hops just didnt go well together and im looking for some improvement.
Im also ok with changing the grain type, but was just going for something light here.

My standard blonde ale I make for the gf (primarily) gets only sterling hops. I usually use a kölsch or alt yeast, so my finished product probably isn't too far off from yours. I've found I like the sterling best, but I'd imagine (or in some cases know) crytal, ultra, liberty, mt hood, and so on all would be good. Most of these are US grown and easy to find, but are derived from German noble hops, which seem to go well in this kind of recipe. If you can't decide on one, try a couple. Just go with whatever flavors you like, based off the description.

You can single hop it cascade, or cascade/centennial and just use small amounts for low IBU.

I am still new to making my own recipes, but if it was mine I would probably do 1 oz of saaz + .5 oz cascade at 60 and use the other .5-1 oz cascade at 15-0 minutes depending on your preference. I think the citrus aroma could be beneficial to a refreshing summer beer. good luck.

Cool, thanks for the help. I think im gonna to go with the sterling hops and finish with liberty. Im also switching my grain from the kolsch to a pound of Carahell to mix things up a bit.

Cool, thanks for the help. I think im gonna to go with the sterling hops and finish with liberty. Im also switching my grain from the kolsch to a pound of Carahell to mix things up a bit.

Good plan. Somehow I had forgotten that Sterling is 1/2 Saaz (and 1/2 Hallertauer, if memory serves), so you are probably right in not using them for a late addition. Liberty is a great hop, perfect for this kind of beer.

Good luck with this. I got my summer blond in primary now. Also my first attempt at making my own recipe.

Back