Cooler Conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
So I'm jumping into all grain. I ended up finding a good deal on a 60 QT Igloo Island Breeze cooler (pimped out with wheels and a handle!) for $27.

I'm looking into ordering the fittings now, and have a couple of questions. I'd planned on building a SS braid similar to whats built in this youtube video:

I'm wondeing if this is more complicated then necessary though. From what I've seen, most people end up going with a length of say 12" hose straight to the ball valve.

I guess my Q is, would the length of 12" hose horizontally placed along the bottom of the cooler be more prone to channeling or anything? Am I overcomplicating things by adding the T valve and the longer hose?

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need to worry about this if you are going to fly sparge. In which case, the braided hose probably is not the best choice weather you use a T Valve or a straight line to the ball valve. You would want to build more of a grid on the bottom of the cooler out of CPVC or copper pipe with holes drilled in them. If you are batch sparging, channelling isn't something you need to worry about. You just need to make sure you thoroughly mix your grain with your sparge water.

I wouldn't use a conduit lock nut on the inside of the mash tun. The nut on the inside of the mash tun should be brass or stainless. I also wouldn't use galvanized wire on the inside of the hose braid. If you are putting wire on the inside it should be stainless.

OK Thanks. I think in the brewing world, its easy to overcomplicate something. I admire the job these guys did but for all stainless parts this setup will get fairly pricey. I can save $20 by going with no T adapter and just a straight braid across the bottom of the cooler.

Back