Keggle Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
I managed to pick up a 15 gallon keg for an amazing price. i've been doing some research so i get this done the way it should be. i'm curious to see if there is a thread or faq on here with a parts list.
i'm going to be building this one into a boil keggle. so i was looking for part numbers for the ball valve and fitting i need, i also would like to do a sight glass, where would i go to get one of those. would i use the same fitting?
i've also seen pics where copper tubing was used inside to get as much liquid out of the bottom of the kettle as possible. is this used in boil keggle applications or is this something that people do for a mash tun?
thank you for your help
Joe

You can go all over the place through Ebay and other locations to save every penny you can comparing shipping etc...

You can also go to Bargain Fittings, a vender here on HBT, and it'll pretty much be a one stop shop for doing up a full keg. He has all the fitting you will need with instructions, including the sight glass and thermo.

I bought some stuff from him recently and it looks great and shipped very fast. I haven't installed it yet but everything I have read from others say they are very happy with his product. Also, very good prices.

As far as the Mash Tun goes, many different manifold or FB options to pick from with a range of costs. Search some MLT or MT pics and threads and you'll be overwhelmed with options.

Bobby_M on this board also has products like you're looking for but is currently low on inventory, great prices. He has some cool calibrating numbers for the sight glass.

Of course you could part it out and go to Mainland Valve on Ebay, or KLG stainless, also on Ebay and get most of what you need. (Bargain fittings bulkheads are much easier, and very reasonably priced).

And don't forget the QD's from proflow dynamics.

Just decide how much bling you want and the sky is the limit.

You'll definitely want a pickup tube (the copper tube inside). If you don't have one you won't be able to drain via your ball valve below the level of the ball valve, which even mounted as low as you can, leaves and gallon or behind. You need the pick up with tubing on the outside the sits lower then the bottom of the keg to create a siphon to pull it all out. Sight glass is optional

Do you want welded in fittings or weldless? I second Bargainfittings.com

my buddy welds, so i was just going to have him weld the fittings on. i've heard that welding fittings are better than the weldless, and the weldless fittings leak from time to time. i want to do this right.
is there a max distance you want to cut from center when you cut the top off?

I do have kits for welded systems too if you prefer to weld in your items.

When you cut the top off most people do a 12" hole because its the most common lid size out there.

Back