IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmich24

Reaction score
Was wondering what you all think about this brew?
Im looking for a IPA with a lot of citrus
Do you like the hop schedule?

1.064/1.012 (5.5 Gal)

9.15 lbs Gold malt syrup (3.15 (right away) 6lbs (15 min))
1 lbs Briess Caramel 40 (Steep 30 min)
1 Cup Honey (Help Dry Out)

Hops
2 oz Centennial (60 min)
2 oz Centennial (25 min)
1 oz Centennial (10 min)
.5 oz Amarillo and .5 oz, Cascade (Whirlpool for 15 min.)
1.5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)14 days in secondary

Yeast
US-05

Thanks!

Sounds really tasty. I used those hops in an IPA recently - everyone calls it the "grapefruit beer." SWMBO wants me to do it again, so of course I will!

I've become a big fan of more late addition hops, and less between 45 minutes and 20 minutes. I would move the 25 minute addition, either some to 60 minutes if you need more IBUs (I didn't run it through any software to check the IBUs) and the rest to 15 minutes or less. I'd do something more like:

2 oz Centennial (60 min) (or whatever you need to get to your target IBUs)
.5 ounce centennial (20 min)
.5 ounce Centennial (15 min)
.5 oz Centennial (10 min)
.5 oz centennial 5 minutes

.5 oz Amarillo and .5 oz, Cascade 0 minutes

1.5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop) 7 days in secondary

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is my first IPA and I love citrus/danky IPAs (Crooked Tree, 2 Hearted, ect)

Yooper I always thought the 25-20 min addition was for flavor and the last 10 to flamout was more aroma?

Is that enough of a dry hop in your opinion?

Thanks!

Made an IPA just like that...Centen for 60 min then cascade like at 30 and amarillo at 20 and flameout...(cant remember the amounts, probably around .5oz to 1oz) then dry hopd with 2oz cascade/amarillo. Turned out great one of my fav IPA's...that recipe should be what your looking for if you like that citrusy/grapefruit crisp IPA.

Back