Air Bubbles in the Siphon Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieB

Reaction score
When I transferred this morning, I noticed an air bubble in the hose that was sloshing the beer passing through. I know you are suppose to prevent the beer from splashing when you transfer. It was just carrying air bubbles down the hose. Does it make any difference or is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks

When I transferred this morning, I noticed an air bubble in the hose that was sloshing the beer passing through. I know you are suppose to prevent the beer from splashing when you transfer. It was just carrying air bubbles down the hose. Does it make any difference or is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks

I always tap the hose to knock the bubbles down the line. I never get rid of all of them, but the big ones will make it out. I never notice a problem w/this method.

I couldn't sleep last night so I siphoned my beer to the secondary at like 2:30am and I got little bubbles stuck where my hose meets the syphon part.

I usually can't get them out of there but I have had no problem, yet!
:mug:

If you pinch the hose slightly just downstream of the bubble, the extra flow velocity usually sucks the bubble out. Voila! No bubble in hose.

If you pinch the hose slightly just downstream of the bubble, the extra flow velocity usually sucks the bubble out. Voila! No bubble in hose.

Second. I always get a rather large bubble where the racking cane meets the hose. One or two good pinches gets rid of it easy.

Thanks for the information, about pinching the tube!

I also noticed that where my homemade racking cane meets the hose if the clamp was not tight enough I got bubbles. I put a half turn on the clamp and they were gone.

Guess there was a very minor leak there.

Live and learn.

I've noticed that too high a pressure (height) difference between the source and the receiver can lead to a high enough pressure to cause dissolved gases to undissolve (cavitate). I was tranferring a beer to a keg and I noticed that if the height difference was below a certain level I got no bubbles (using an auto-siphon) and when I raised it over that height it would start to make bubbles - these would be CO2 though, so I don't really worry about it.

Back